topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Legal Resources | Education Code |  EC  66016.3  

Public Education Governance; Service on Boards and Commissions Postsecondary Education   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

(a) (1) Any student, including a person without lawful immigration status, or a person who is exempt from paying nonresident tuition pursuant to Section 68130.5, may serve in any capacity in student government at the California State University or the California Community Colleges and receive any grant, scholarship, fee waiver, or reimbursement for expenses incurred connected with that service to the full extent consistent with federal law.

(2) Notwithstanding Section 1020 of the Government Code, any student attending a campus of the California Community Colleges, the California State University, the University of California, or an independent institution of higher education, as defined in Section 66010, who qualifies for exemption from paying nonresident tuition pursuant to Section 68130.5 may serve on any board or commission established pursuant to this title that includes members who are students.

(b) The University of California is requested to comply with this section.

(c) The Legislature finds and declares this section is a state law within the meaning of subsection (d) of Section 1621 of Title 8 of the United States Code.

(Amended by Stats. 2018, Ch. 182, Sec. 2.)