topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Legal Resources | Education Code |  EC  66171  

Duplicate degree tuition   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

(a) Each governing board shall charge duplicate degree tuition to a student who has earned a degree equivalent to or higher than the degree awarded by the program in which he or she is enrolled or who has earned a baccalaureate degree or post baccalaureate degree and is enrolled without a declared degree objective.

(b) No duplicate degree tuition shall be charged to a student who is any of the following:

(1) A dislocated worker, as certified by a state agency in accordance with Title 3 of the federal Job Training Partnership Act.

(2) A displaced homemaker, as defined in accordance with the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1001 et seq.).

(3) A person who is an enrollee in any program leading to a credential or certificate that has been approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

(4) A recipient of benefits under the Aid to Families with Dependent Children program, the Supplemental Security Income or State Supplementary Program, or a general assistance program.

(5) A participant in the Executive Fellow Program, the Jesse M. Unruh Assembly Fellowship Program, or the California Senate Associates Program, administered by the Center for California Studies of California State University, Sacramento.

(c) For purposes of this article, the following shall apply:

(1) A degree earned in a joint degree or double-major program shall not be considered an equivalent degree earned prior to any other degree awarded by the joint degree or double-major program.

(2) A program that awards a master's degree as part of a course of study leading to a doctorate shall not be considered a program that awards the master's degree, unless the stated objective of the student is to earn the master's degree.

(Amended by Stats. 1995, Ch. 308, Sec. 19.)


20 USC 1001