Escondido Union ESD | BP 7310 Facilities
Naming Of Facility
The Board of Education may name district schools and other district-owned or leased buildings in recognition of:
1. Individuals, living or deceased, and entities that have made outstanding contributions, including financial contributions, to the school community
2. Individuals, living or deceased, who have made contributions of statewide, national, or worldwide significance
3. The geographic area in which the school or building is located
The superintendent or designee will be responsible for bringing name suggestions to the board for their consideration and approval.
Upon receipt of a written request to the superintendent from a staff or community member with a name suggestion, the board will take that suggestion under advisement with those the superintendent presents to them.
If multiple suggestions are received from staff or community members, the board may choose to appoint an advisory committee to review name suggestions and submit recommendations for its consideration. The board may designate to the superintendent the composition of the committee, which shall include but is not limited to one each of the following: cabinet, principal, community representative, parent/guardian, and selected staff members. Committee recommendations, with justification documentation, will be presented to the board for consideration and action.
(cf. 1220 - Citizen Advisory Committees)
Approved names will remain in existence until the board approves a name change or the school, building, or unit cease to exist through demolition or become non-operational. The renaming of existing schools or major facilities shall occur only under extraordinary circumstances, after thorough study, and upon board approval.
Upon request, the board shall consider naming buildings, parts of buildings, or athletic fields in memory of deceased students, staff members, community members, and benefactors of the district.
35160 Authority of governing boards
Policy ESCONDIDO UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: October 23, 2003 Escondido, California
revised: April 14, 2005
revised: September 27, 2012