Escondido Union ESD | E 5118 Students
Open Enrollment Act Transfers
[On district letterhead]
Dear Parents of ____________________________________School:
OPEN ENROLLMENT ACT
A new law passed in January 2010, with emergency regulations passing in July 2010. It states that for the 20__-20__ school year:
1. Your school has been designated as a low-achieving school.
2. You have the right to transfer your child to another school district or school with a higher Academic Performance Index (API) than the school your child currently attends.
3. School districts must make a transfer decision within 60 days of a parent request and provide an explanation of their decision.
4. District-to-district transfer forms (Open Enrollment Act interdistrict attendance permits) are available at your school's office or by calling the Pupil Services office at (760) 432-2247.
5. The application window for the 20__-20__ school year will be from Monday, November __ through Friday December __, 20__.
6. You will be required to transport your student to their new school.
7. Escondido Union School District also offers student transfers to other schools within the Escondido district. Please see the attached School Choice Intradistrict Transfers Parent Notification of District Procedures/Options letter which explains this application process.
Should you have any specific questions about this new law, I encourage you to call the Pupil Services office at (760) 432-2247.
[Name of Pupil Services Director]
ESCONDIDO UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
January 13, 2011 Escondido, California