Escondido Union HSD | AR 5131.7 Students
Weapons And Dangerous Instruments
Prohibited weapons and dangerous instruments include, but are not limited to:
1. Firearms: pistols, revolvers, shotguns, rifles, "zip guns," "stun guns," tasers, and any other device capable of propelling a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.
2. Knives, razor blades, and box cutters: any dirks, daggers, ice picks, or other weapons with a fixed, sharpened blade fitted primarily for stabbing, weapons with a blade fitted primarily for stabbing, weapons with a blade longer than 2-1/2 inches, folding knives with a blade that locks into place, and razors with an unguarded blade (Education Code 48915; Penal Code 626.10)
3. Explosive and/or incendiary devices: pipe bombs, time bombs, cap guns, containers of inflammable fluids, and other hazardous devices.
4. Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of air pressure, carbon dioxide pressure or spring action, or any spot marker gun.
5. Any other dangerous device, instrument, or weapon, including those defined in Penal Code 12020, including a blackjack, slingshot, billy, nunchaku, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, or any metal plate with three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges designed for use as a weapon.
6. Any imitation firearm, defined as a replica of a firearm that is so substantially similar in physical properties to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to conclude that the replica is a firearm. (Education Code 48900)
In determining whether to take possession of the weapon or dangerous instrument, the employee shall use his/her own judgment as to the dangerousness of the situation and, based upon this analysis, shall do one of the following:
1. Confiscate the object and deliver it to the principal immediately
2. Immediately notify the principal, who shall take appropriate action
3. Immediately notify the local law enforcement agency and the principal
(cf. 0450 - Comprehensive Safety Plan)
(cf. 3515.3 - District/Police Security Department)
When informing the principal about the possession or seizure of a weapon or dangerous device, the employee shall report the name(s) of persons involved, witnesses, location, and the circumstances of any seizure.
The principal or designee shall notify law enforcement authorities about any student possession of weapons and any acts of assault by a student with a firearm or other deadly weapon or instrument. (Education Code 48902, Penal Code 245, 626.9, 626.10)
The principal shall take disciplinary action which he/she determines proper in accordance with Board policies and regulations.
The principal shall report any possession of a weapon or dangerous instrument, including replicas, to the student's parents/guardians by telephone or in person, and shall follow this notification with a letter.
The employee shall retain possession of the instrument until the risk of its use as a weapon has dissipated or, upon the request of the student's parent/guardian, until the parent/guardian appears and personally takes possession. (Education Code 49331, 49332)
Regulation ESCONDIDO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: September 20, 2011 Escondido, California