Law enforcement agencies receiving funds under this chapter are encouraged to concentrate enhanced law enforcement efforts and resources upon cases identified under criteria set forth in Section 13826.3. Enhanced law enforcement criteria efforts may include, but not be limited to:
(a) The formation of a specialized gang violence unit whose staff shall be composed of the most highly qualified and trained personnel.
(b) The efforts of the gang violence unit may include, but not be limited to:
(1) Increased efforts to apprehend, prosecute, and convict violent "hard core" target gang members.
(2) Increasing the clearance rate of reported crimes which are targeted as gang related.
(3) Establishing more positive relations with, and encouraging the support of local citizens, community-based organizations, business representatives, and other criminal agencies.
(4) Aiding and assisting other criminal justice and governmental agencies in protecting cooperating witnesses from intimidation or retribution at the hands of gang members and their associates.
(c) Law enforcement agencies receiving funds under this program shall maintain a crime analysis capability which provides the following type of information:
(1) Identification of active gang members who have exhibited a prior criminal background.
(2) Identification of evolving or existing crime patterns that are gang related.
(3) Providing investigative leads.
(4) Maintaining statistical information pertaining to gang related criminal activity.
(Amended by Stats. 2012, Ch. 43, Sec. 71.)