Field Services And Standards For Recruitment And Training; Interviewing Minors
(a) The commission shall develop guidelines and training for use by state and local law enforcement officers to address issues related to child safety when a caretaker parent or guardian is arrested.
(b) The guidelines and training shall, at a minimum, address the following subjects:
(1) Procedures to ensure that officers and custodial employees inquire whether an arrestee has minor dependent children without appropriate supervision.
(2) Authorizing additional telephone calls by arrestees so that they may arrange for the care of minor dependent children.
(3) Use of county child welfare services, as appropriate, and other similar service providers to assist in the placement of dependent children when the parent or guardian is unable or unwilling to arrange suitable care for the child or children.
(4) Identification of local government or nongovernmental agencies able to provide appropriate custodial services.
(5) Temporary supervision of minor children to ensure their safety and well-being.
(6) Sample procedures to assist state and local law enforcement agencies to develop ways to ensure the safety and well-being of children when the parent or guardian has been arrested.
(c) The commission shall use appropriate subject matter experts, including representatives of law enforcement and county child welfare agencies, in developing the guidelines and training required by this section.
(Added by Stats. 2006, Ch. 729, Sec. 2.)