Escondido Union HSD | AR 1312.1 Community Relations
Complaints Concerning School Personnel
In order to promote fair and constructive communication, the following procedures shall govern the resolution of complaints. Every effort should be made to resolve a complaint at the earliest possible stage.
1. Complaints concerning school personnel should be made directly by the complainant to the person against whom the complaint is lodged. Parents/guardians are encouraged to attempt to orally resolve concerns with the staff member personally.
2. If the complaint is not resolved at this level, the complainant may submit the complaint in writing to the school principal or immediate supervisor. When necessary, district administration shall assist in the preparation of the written complaint so as to meet the requirement of this regulation. The administrative staff shall inform the complainant that such assistance is available if he/she is unable to prepare the written complaint without help.
A written complaint must include the name of each employee involved and a brief but specific summary of the complaint and the facts surrounding it. It must also include a specific description of a prior attempt to discuss the complaint with the employee involved and the failure to resolve the matter.
The principal or immediate supervisor is responsible for investigating complaints and will attempt to resolve the complaint to the satisfaction of the person(s) involved. If the complaint is resolved, the principal will so advise all concerned parties, including the Superintendent or designee.
3. If the complaint remains unresolved after review by the principal or the immediate supervisor, the principal shall refer the written complaint, together with a report and analysis of the situation, to the Superintendent or designee. Complainants should consider and accept the Superintendent or designee's decision as final. However, the complainant, the employee, or the Superintendent may ask to address the Governing Board regarding the complaint.
4. All written complaints regarding district personnel other than administrators shall be initially filed with the principal. If the complaint regards a principal or central office administrator, the written complaint shall be initially filed with the Superintendent or designee. If the written complaint concerns the Superintendent, it shall be initially filed with the Board.
5. Except when a complaint is directed against the Superintendent, no party to a complaint may address the Board, either in closed or open session, unless the Board has received the Superintendent or designee's written report concerning the complaint. The Superintendent or designee's report shall contain, but not be limited to:
a. The name of each employee involved.
b. A brief but specific summary of the complaint and the facts surrounding it, sufficient to inform the Board and the employee(s) as to the precise nature of the complaint and to allow the employee(s) to prepare a defense.
c. A copy of the signed original complaint.
d. A summary of the action taken by the Superintendent or designee, with his/her specific finding that disposition of the case at the Superintendent's level has not been possible, and the reasons why.
All parties to a complaint, including the school administration, may be asked to attend a Board meeting or part of such meeting for the purpose of presenting all available evidence and allowing every opportunity for explaining and clarifying the issue.
Complaints concerning an employee shall be addressed in a closed session of the Board unless the employee requests that the issue be addressed in open session.
(cf. 9321 - Closed Sessions)
The decision of the Board following the hearing shall be final.
Regulation ESCONDIDO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: March 15, 1994 Escondido, California