Escondido Union HSD | BP 5000 Students
Concepts and Roles
Because the focus of the school system is on the student, it is incumbent upon the Governing Board and district staff to provide for the physical and intellectual welfare of the students in their charge. The school district shall work closely with parents/guardians and the community in order to achieve a harmony of interests in providing for students' needs.
Students are expected to accept personal responsibility for making maximum use of those educational opportunities afforded. It is also expected that as a result of the total school experience, students will come to appreciate the values of selfdiscipline, responsibility, respect for others, their country and its governmental processes.
The Board will attempt to erase any limitations of facilities and means that stand in the way of all who wish to learn in this school system.
Discrimination among students applying for admission to or attending district schools with respect to color, creed, race, sex, religion, ancestry, handicap, or national origin is prohibited.
(cf. 5145.3 - Nondiscrimination)
Role of Governing Board
1. Establishes policies to provide the best attainable program of education for the district's students.
2. Authorizes the establishment of special classes, programs, or other facilities for students who are in need of special education in keeping with all legal provisions.
3. Provides for the physical and mental well-being of students.
4. Determines policies regarding student behavior and attendance within the limits of the law.
Role of Superintendent
l. Administers all schools and classes established by the Board.
2. Directs the instruction, guidance and discipline of all students.
3. Provides leadership and guidance to establish the pattern of education to be offered to students.
4. Determines the boundaries of school attendance within the district.
5. Makes assignments of students to the different buildings or grades as may improve their education, reduce the expense of maintaining schools, or relieve overcrowded conditions.
6. Has general charge of the enforcement of the compulsory attendance law and the issuance of work permits.
7. Has immediate authority for the closing of schools in case of emergencies involving the health and safety of students.
TITLE IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
Policy ESCONDIDO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: March 15, 1994 Escondido, California