Escondido Union HSD | AR 4115 Personnel
Certificated employee performance shall be evaluated and assessed on a continuing basis, at least once a year for probationary staff and at least every other year for permanent staff. Permanent employees who receive an unsatisfactory evaluation shall be assessed annually until they receive a satisfactory evaluation or are separated from the district. (Education Code 44664)
(cf. 4117.4 - Dismissal)
Evaluations shall include recommendations, if necessary, as to areas of improvement in the employee's performance. If an employee is not performing satisfactorily according to standards approved by the Board, the Superintendent or designee shall so notify the employee in writing, describing the unsatisfactory performance. The Superintendent or designee shall also confer with the employee, make specific recommendations as to areas of improvement, and provide assistance to the employee. (Education Code 44664)
The Superintendent or designee may require that instructional employees who receive unsatisfactory ratings participate in a program designed to improve areas of performance and to further student achievement and the district's instructional objectives. (Education Code 44664)
The Superintendent or designee shall print and make available to certificated employees written regulations related to the evaluation of their performance in their assigned duties.
(cf. 4131 - Staff Development)
Certificated instructional employees shall receive a written copy of their evaluation no later than 30 days before the last day of school. Before the last day of school, the employee and the evaluator shall meet to discuss the evaluation. (Education Code 44663)
Noninstructional certificated staff members employed on a 12-month basis shall receive a copy of their evaluation no later than June 30 of the year in which the evaluation is made. Before July 30 of the year in which the evaluation takes place, the employee and the evaluator shall meet to discuss the evaluation. (Education Code 44663)
Instructional and noninstructional certificated employees shall have the right to respond in writing to their evaluation. This response shall become a permanent attachment to the employee's personnel file. (Education Code 44663)
(cf. 4112.6 /4212.6/4312.6 - Personnel Records)
Evaluation Procedures for Probationary Teachers
1. Within the first four weeks of initial employment, probationary teachers shall be counseled regarding the district's teacher evaluation criteria and procedures.
2. As part of their evaluations, probationary teachers shall be formally observed and given constructive criticism at least once each semester, more often when necessary. They shall be encouraged to request more frequent observation and advice if they feel that this would help improve performance.
3. The probationary teacher shall take action to correct any cited deficiencies, based upon the evaluator's recommendations.
4. The evaluator shall make a record of all formal observations and conferences and shall attach any support material to the evaluation summary.
(cf. 4116 - Probationary/Permanent Status)
Qualifications of Evaluators
The Superintendent or designee shall assign the principal or other appropriate supervisory personnel to evaluate certificated staff. He/she shall ensure that the evaluator:
1. Possesses a valid administrative credential
2. Is competent in the instructional methodologies used by the teachers being evaluated.
3. Is skilled in the supervision of instruction and in techniques and procedures related to the evaluation of instruction.
4. Is familiar with district curriculum priorities and practices, district standards for student progress, and district policies and procedures related to personnel supervision, performance evaluation, and staff development
Regulation ESCONDIDO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 13, 2007 Escondido, California
revised: November 18, 2014