Escondido Union HSD | BP 5127.1 Students
Valedictorian And Class Rank
It is the policy of the Governing Board that those students achieving outstanding academic standing during the eight semesters of high school attendance be honored with the designation "valedictorian" and "salutatorian" or be honored as members of the "Valedictory Circle."
1. Any student whose overall cumulative "weighted" grade-point average, including Physical Education in grades 9-12 places him/her among the top 10 students in the graduating class will qualify to be included in the pool from which the valedictorian and salutatorian will be selected.
The student who has taken the most rigorous academic program as defined in the accompanying administrative regulation shall be designated the valedictorian. The student with the second most rigorous program shall be designated the salutatorian.
In the event that two or more students qualify as valedictorians, no salutatorian will be designated.
2. Any student who has earned at least a 4.0 grade point average in all high school classes, including Physical Education and does not qualify for class valedictorian or salutatorian will be designated "Distinguished Scholar."
3. For the purposes of determining Valedictorian, Salutatorian and Class Ranking, the following grade values shall be used in grades 9-12:
Traditional classes and Honors with no UC Honors or Advanced Placement Designation and additional community college courses not receiving extra weighting.
A = Superior 4 grade points
B = Better Than Average 3 grade points
C = Average 2 grade points
D = Below Average 1 grade point
F = Failure 0 grade point
UC Designated Honors/Advanced Placement Classes and a maximum of four UC/CSU transferrable community college courses from the EUHSD designated list or four approved college or university courses will receive weighted designation.
A = Superior 5 grade points
B = Better Than Average 4 grade points
C = Average 3 grade points
D = Below Average 1 grade points
F = Failure 0 grade point
Grades in all eight semesters of the four years in high school shall be counted, including the final grades in the last semester of the senior year.
4. Online courses taken by students and under the supervision of district staff (assigning final grades) or online courses from an accredited high school shall be allowed for purposes of computing high school valedictorian.
Valedictory Circle Criteria
1. The students in the Valedictory Circle shall be the 2.5 percent of the total number in the senior class who have the highest 9-12 grade point averages.
2. Grades in all eight semesters of the four years in high school shall be counted, including the final grades in the last semester of the senior year.
3. In the case of GPA ties, all students with the same GPA would be included.
4. Members of the Valedictory Circle may apply to be a graduation speaker. The administrator shall determine the graduation speech selection process.
5. Members of the Valedictory Circle will be recognized in various ways such as special seating at senior awards night, wearing a different color cap and gown at graduation, or other designations.
Policy ESCONDIDO UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
revised: November 17, 2015 Escondido, California
revised: March 5, 2019