topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Fairfield-Suisun USD  |  AR  6146.3  Instruction

Reciprocity Of Academic Credit   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow


An "accredited" school is one that has received accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) or other statewide or regional commissions or, in the case of a school outside California, by the equivalent governmental or other regional accrediting agency in that jurisdiction.

Transfers from Accredited Schools

Students transferring into the district from an accredited school shall receive full academic credit for previously completed courses when the sending district verifies that the student has satisfactorily completed those courses.

(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)

(cf. 6143 - Courses of Study)

(cf. 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements)

(cf. 6146.11 - Alternative Credits Toward Graduation)

(cf. 6146.2 - Certificate of Proficiency/High School Equivalency)

(cf. 6146.5 - Elementary/Middle School Graduation Requirements)

Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools

When a student transfers from any non-accredited private, public, alternative, home or charter school, or online institution, academic credit shall be subject to approval by the principal or designee at the enrolling school. Credits transferred from these schools shall be fully accepted when there is evidence that the course work completed is equivalent to similar courses offered in this district.

(cf. 0420.4 - Charter Schools)

(cf. 6181 - Alternative Schools)

Online courses taken for high school credit must have written, prior approval of the site principal in order for such courses to be applied towards meeting graduation requirements.

The principal or designee at the enrolling school shall be responsible for determining which of the student's credits are equivalent to district requirements. Guidelines for determining equivalency shall be developed by representative certificated staff familiar with the district's academic standards and graduation requirements.

Equivalent Courses

In determining equivalency, the principal and/or designated certificated staff representative may consider one or more of the following:

1. A review of the description of academic content and time requirements of the course work completed by the student compared to academic content and time requirements of the district.

2. An examination of the student's portfolio of work, papers, completed projects, graded tests, state test scores, or other documents demonstrating the student's level of skill and knowledge.

(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)

(cf. 6146.11 - Alternative Credits Toward Graduation)

3. An opportunity for the student to demonstrate skill by his/her performance on appropriate course-challenging examinations.

(cf. 6155 - Challenging Courses by Examination)

4. Verification by teacher observation, once the student has been placed in a course, that the student has reached a level of preparation consistent with his/her placement in that course.

Waiver for Class Enrollment

If a student's parent/guardian disagrees with the school site staff's judgment on grade-level placement, course placement, and/or equivalency of academic credit, the parent/guardian may, by election, sign a waiver for the student to be enrolled in a particular course(s). All applicable rules and guidelines regarding classload enrollment must be followed.

Waiver forms for this process are available at school sites, at the central office, and online at the district website.


adopted: March 31, 2009 Fairfield, California