Folsom Cordova USD | BP 4112.22 Personnel
Staff Teaching English Learners
Statement of Purpose
1. The Governing Board recognizes the considerable and increasing number of English Learner (EL) students throughout the district.
2. A teacher assigned to instruct ELs must possess a valid authorization for instruction to ELs in addition to a valid authorization in the content area of instruction. The requirement for the authorization is based on the rights and needs of the students to an appropriate education.
3. Certificated administrators are not required by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) to obtain EL Authorizations.
4. A valid authorization for EL includes:
* CLAD (Cross cultural Language and Academic Development)
* Emergency CLAD
* BCLAD (Bilingual Cross cultural Language and Academic Development)
* SB 1969/SB 395/AB2913 (SDAIE)
* LDS (Language Development Specialist)
* BCC (Bilingual Certificate of Competence)
* ESL (English as a Second Language) Supplemental Authorization
* SB 2042 (Clear Credential)
* AB 1059 (English Learners)
* A certificate or credential deemed equivalent by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
Application of this Policy
1. All Employees Who Possess a Valid EL Authorization
All currently employed K-12 teachers who possess a valid California EL authorization shall maintain it as a condition of employment.
2. Currently Employed K-12 Teachers
All currently employed K-12 teachers who are either providing classroom instruction, or who are authorized to provide classroom instruction, shall possess a valid California EL authorization by June 30, 2011.
3. Future K-12 Teachers
Future K-12 teachers shall either possess a valid California EL authorization at the time of hire, or shall (as a condition of continued employment) obtain a valid California EL authorization within 12 calendar months of employment.
4. Authority of Superintendent or Designee
a. The Superintendent, or designee, shall monitor that employees who provide instruction to EL students possess an EL authorization.
b. The Superintendent, or designee, is authorized to take steps to ensure that affected employees are in compliance with this policy.
5. Failure to Comply
Affected employees who fail to comply with this policy shall be subject to adverse personnel action which may include, by way of illustration and not limitation, involuntary unpaid leave and/or dismissal.
44258.9 County superintendent review of teacher assignment
44259.5 Standards for teachers of all students, including English language learners
52052 Adequate yearly progress
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5
80016 Certificate of completion of staff development to teach English learners
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 20
6319 Highly qualified teachers
7801 Definitions, highly qualified teacher
CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS, TITLE 34
Teresa P. et al v. Berkeley Unified School District et al (1989) 724 F.Supp. 698
COMMISSION ON TEACHER CREDENTIALING PUBLICATIONS
Languages Other than English Single Subject Matter Standards for the Single Subject Teaching Credential, May 2004
CL-622 Serving English Learners, April 2006
COMMISSION ON TEACHER CREDENTIALING CODED CORRESPONDENCE
06-0020 Implementation of Senate Bill 1292 regarding options to earn an English learner authorization, December 13, 2006
04-0001 Clarification of authorizations to teach English learners, January 12, 2004
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION GUIDANCE
Improving Teacher Quality State Grants Title II, Part A Non-Regulatory Draft Guidance, rev. January 16, 2004
California Association for Bilingual Education: http://www.bilingualeducation.org
California Department of Education, English Learners: http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/el
California Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages: http://www.catesol.org
Commission on Teacher Credentialing: http://www.ctc.ca.gov
U.S. Department of Education: http://www.ed.gov
Policy FOLSOM CORDOVA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: February 5, 1998 Folsom, California
revised: August 3, 2006
revised: December 9, 2010