Folsom Cordova USD | AR 6155 Instruction
Challenging Courses By Examination
Petition to Challenge Course
All students interested in challenging an academic course shall file a petition form with their counselor prior to or within the first two (2) weeks of a semester or term.
The counselor shall inform the course instructor of the student's intent to challenge the course. The student shall be allowed to challenge the course by examination if his/her petition is signed by the counselor and parent/guardian. The student's petition shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. Grades in courses of the subject area of the challenge
2. Student's rationale or reasons for challenging a specific course
The challenge examination may be offered when the academic course is part of a sequence of courses normally taken in specific order or when the course is normally required for entry into another course.
1. During their enrollment in high school, students may challenge no more than four (4) courses which meet graduation requirements. While successful challenge will exempt a student from those specific courses required for graduation, the student is still responsible for the total units required for graduation.
(cf. 6143 - Courses of Study)
(cf. 6146.1 - High School Graduation Requirements)
2. A student may challenge a particular course only once.
3. A student may challenge only one (1) course per semester. This may be a course in which the student is enrolled or any other approved course offering.
4. A student may not attempt credit for a course below his/her ability or grade placement.
5. Courses previously taken where credit was received, remedial courses and physical education courses are disqualified from the course challenging program.
Test Content and Administration
The principal and department chairpersons shall collaborate with teachers in the development of appropriate districtwide testing procedures and materials for the classes that may be challenged within each department. Departmentally-developed performance objectives shall determine the content and the type of evaluation to be used. The examination may be written, oral, by demonstration, or any combination thereof.
The type of test administered shall depend on the course outline. The department chairperson or designee shall supervise the administration and evaluation of tests pertaining to the department.
The student must earn an A or B (80 percent) to receive credit for challenging a course by examination. The transcript shall reflect that the grade was earned by exam.
Regulation FOLSOM CORDOVA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 17, 2011 Folsom, California
revised: May2, 2012,
revised: May 18, 2012