Legal Resources | Education Code | EC 281
Educational Equity; Bill Brady Human Relations Pilot Project
(a) The Superintendent of Public Instruction shall authorize the development of the Bill Bradley Human Relations Pilot Project for teaching a course on human relations, and shall do the following:
(1) Consult with teachers, administrators, school board members, a representative of the California Congress of Parents, Teachers, and Students, and at least four statewide human relations agencies, including the Anti-Defamation League of B' nai B'rith, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the Asian Pacific American Legal Center, and the Mexican American Legal Defense Educational Fund, in the development of the human relations course.
(2) Recommend the course curriculum to the State Board of Education.
(3) Select three school districts, from among interested school districts, to participate in the pilot project. The selected districts shall reflect the geographic and ethnic diversity of communities in California.
(4) Oversee the training of appropriate staff in the three school districts pursuant to this article.
(5) Designate whether the course shall be for 5 or 10 weeks in duration.
(b) Either the superintendent or the participating school districts shall designate whether the course will be taught in grade 8, 9, or 10.
(c) The course shall be designed to allow the selected school districts to tailor the materials to the needs of their specific communities.
(Renumbered from 52906 and amended by Stats. 1998, Ch. 914, Sec. 45.)