Gilroy USD | BB 9121 Board Bylaws
The Governing Board shall elect a president from among its members to provide leadership on behalf of the governance team and the educational community it serves.
(cf. 9000 - Role of the Board)
(cf. 9005 - Governance Standards)
(cf. 9100 - Organization)
To ensure that Board meetings are conducted in an efficient, transparent, and orderly manner, the president shall:
1. Call such meetings of the Board as he/she may deem necessary, giving notice as required by law
(cf. 9320 - Meetings and Notices)
(cf. 9321 - Closed Session Purposes and Agendas)
2. Consult with the Superintendent or designee on the preparation of Board meeting agendas
(cf. 9322 - Agenda/Meeting Materials)
3. Call the meeting to order at the appointed time and preside over the meeting
4. Announce the business to come before the Board in its proper order
5. Enforce the Board's bylaws related to the conduct of meetings and help ensure compliance with applicable requirements of the Brown Act
6. Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference
7. Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Board
8. Facilitate the Board's effective deliberation, ensuring that each Board member has an opportunity to participate in the deliberation and that the discussion remains focused
9. Put motions to a vote, and clearly state the results of the vote
10. Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Board meetings
(cf. 9323 - Meeting Conduct)
The president shall have the same rights as other members of the Board, including the right to move, second, discuss and vote on all matters before the Board.
The president shall perform other duties in accordance with law and Board policy including, but not limited to:
1. Signing all instruments, acts, orders, and resolutions necessary to comply with legal requirements and carry out the will of the Board
2. Working with the Superintendent or designee to ensure that Board members have necessary materials and information
3. Subject to Board approval, appointing and dissolving all committees
(cf. 9130 - Board Committees)
4. In conjunction with the Superintendent or designee, representing the district as the Board's spokesperson in communications with the media.
(cf. 1112 - Media Relations)
The president may participate in the California School Boards Association's Board President's Workshop and other professional development opportunities to enhance his/her leadership skills.
(cf. 9240 - Board Training)
When the president resigns or is absent, the vice president shall perform the president's duties. When both the president and vice president are absent, the most senior member shall perform the president's duties.
(cf. 9123 - Clerk)
35022 President of the board
35143 Annual organizational meetings; dates and notice
54950-54963 Ralph M. Brown Act
Call to Order: A Blueprint for Great Board Meetings, 2015
Board Presidents' Handbook, revised 2002
CSBA Professional Governance Standards, 2000
Bylaw GILROY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: November 2, 2017 Gilroy, California