topleft >  Services >  Governance Technology > 

Hillsborough City SD |  AR  5117  Students

Interdistrict Attendance   

arrow Previous bar Next arrow

In accordance with an agreement between the Governing Board and the board of another district, a permit authorizing a student's attendance outside his/her district of residence may be issued upon approval of both the district of residence and the district of proposed attendance.

The Superintendent or designee may approve an interdistrict attendance permit for a student for any of the following reasons when stipulated in the agreement:

1. To complete a school year when the parents/guardians have moved out of the district during the school year.

2. To begin a school year when the parents/guardians are planning to move into the district during the school year.

3. When a parent/guardian is a probationary, permanent, or tenured employee of the district, or a temporary employee of the district working 75% or more of the school year.

4. When a child or parent/guardian has a relative living within the district boundaries. "Relative" is defined to mean father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, grandfather, or grandmother.

5. When a child has attended district schools for one or more years and has become a nonresident due to family death, illness, or divorce of the child's parent(s), this child may be allowed to continue in district schools for reasonable time period.

6. When a parent/guardian has his/her primary place of employment within the boundaries of the school district. "Primary place of employment" is defined as the employee's business address. "Employment" is defined as working 35 or more hours per week for 52 weeks per year.

7. When a parent/guardian owns property in the district.

8. To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from school.

9. When the student has been determined by staff of either the district or another district which is the district of residence or of proposed attendance, to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r). Such a student shall be given priority for interdistrict attendance under any existing interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, shall be given consideration for the creation of a new permit.

10. When the student is the child of an employee of the San Mateo Union High School District whereas the employee, as of the time of the application: (a) has permanent status; and is either (b) a certificated district employee who is employed a minimum of 80% FTE; or (c) a classified staff member who is employed a minimum of 27.5 hours weekly. The parent or guardian of the child must annually, during the enrollment period, present to HCSD proof of qualifying current employment at the SMUHSD. Except as set forth herein, if the parent/guardian of the child is unable to present to HCSD adequate proof qualifying current employment at the partner district, the interdistrict transfer permit may be rescinded.

The Superintendent, in consultation with the Board, will develop a consistent and fair process to decide how many interdistrict transfers to accept in any given year, and how to prioritize the applications, should there be more applicants than available space. The Superintendent, together with the Board, may occasionally revise and update this process as needs change. (Education Code 46600)

(cf. 5131.2 - Bullying)

The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance permits due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, or other considerations that are not arbitrary. However, once a student is admitted, the district may not deny him/her continued attendance because of overcrowded facilities at the relevant grade level.

(cf. 0410 - Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)

Within 30 days of a request for an interdistrict permit, the Superintendent or designee shall notify the parents/guardians of a student who is denied interdistrict attendance regarding the process for appeal to the County Board of Education as specified in Education Code 46601. (Education Code 46601)

(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)

Pending a decision by the two districts or an appeal by the County Board, the Superintendent or designee may provisionally admit a student who resides in another district for a period not to exceed two school months. (Education Code 46603)

Students who are under consideration for expulsion or who have been expelled may not appeal interdistrict attendance denials or decisions while expulsion proceedings are pending or during the term of the expulsion. (Education Code 46601)

(cf. 5119 - Students Expelled from Other Districts)

(cf. 5144.1 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process)

Once a student is admitted to a school on the basis of an interdistrict attendance permit, he/she shall not be required to reapply for an interdistrict transfer and shall be allowed to continue to attend the school in which he/she is enrolled, unless reapplication standards are otherwise specified in the interdistrict attendance agreement. (Education Code 46600)

Final acceptance of the transfer is applicable for one school year and shall be renewed automatically each year unless the Board, by adoption of a resolution, withdraws from participation in the program and no longer accepts transfer students from other districts.

The district may revoke a student's enrollment if he/she is recommended for expulsion pursuant to Education Code 48918.


approved: November 13, 2013 Hillsborough, California

revised: December 12, 2018