Hope ESD | AR 1330 Community Relations
Use Of School Facilities
The Superintendent or designee shall maintain application procedures and regulations for the use of school facilities which:
1. Assist groups desiring to use school facilities for approved activities.
2. Preserve order in school buildings and on school grounds, and protect school facilities and property. If necessary, a person may be designated to supervise this task.
3. Ensure that the use of facilities or grounds is not inconsistent with the use of said grounds or facilities for school purposes and does not interfere with the regular conduct of schoolwork. (Education Code 40042)
Civic Center Use/Fees for Direct Cost Recovery
Subject to district policies and regulations, school facilities and grounds shall be available to citizens and community groups as a civic center for the following purposes.
1. Public, literary, scientific, recreational, educational, or public agency meetings. (Education Code 40041)
2. The discussion of matters of general or public interest. (Education Code 40041)
3. Child Care programs to provide supervision and activities for children of preschool and elementary school age. (Education Code 40041)
4. The administration of examinations for the selection of personnel or the instruction of precinct Board members by public agencies. (Education Code 40041)
5. Supervised recreational activities. (Education Code 40041)
6. The conduct of religious services for temporary periods, on a one-time or renewable basis, by any church or religious organization which has no suitable meeting place for the conduct of the services. (Education Code 40041)
7. Mass care and welfare shelters during disasters or other emergencies affecting the public health and welfare. (Education Code 40041.5)
8. Other purposes deemed appropriate by the Board. (Education Code 40041)
In the event of any use as set forth in examples 1 through 8, above, the District may charge a fee for such use equal to actual direct costs of operating the facilities. Fees are set forth in Exhibit "A".
Coaches who reside within the Hope School District Boundaries may be given priority in reserving fields for their teams' use if they complete and file an application for field use with their school's secretary prior to the dates listed below, and the date requested is available. After the dates listed below, reservations shall be opened to all teams, without regard to the residence of a team's coach.
Soccer/Youth Football League: September 1st
Basketball: November 1st
Baseball: February 1st
Commercial Use/Fair Rental Value Fee
A group using school facilities or grounds for entertainment or meetings where admission is charged or products or services sold or contributions solicited, and where net receipts are not to be expended for charitable purposes or for the welfare of the district's students, shall be charged fair rental value for such use. (Education Code 40043). Fair rental value fees shall be as follows:
Classroom $50.00 per hour
Multi-purpose room: $125.00 per hour (may be more for kitchen use)
Athletic or playing fields: $150.00 per team, X # of days
per week, per season
Grades K - 6th
$150.00 per team, X # of days
per week, per season Grades
7-12 and adult leagues
Basketball courts: $75.00 per team, X # of days per week, per season
School facilities shall not be used for any of the following activities:
1. Any use by an individual or group for the commission of any crime or any act prohibited by law.
2. Any use of school facilities or grounds which is inconsistent with their use for school purposes or which interferes with the regular conduct of school or school work.
3. Any use which is discriminatory in the legal sense.
4. Any use which involves the possession, consumption, or sale of alcoholic beverages or any restricted substances on school property, including products containing tobacco and/or nicotine, including, but not limited to smokeless tobacco, snuff, chew, clove cigarettes, and electronic delivery systems, such as electronic cigarettes, electronic hookahs, and other vapor emitting devices, with or without nicotine content, that mimic the use of tobacco products.
(cf. 3513.3 - Tobacco-Free Schools)
Damage and Liability
Groups or persons using school facilities under the provisions of Board policy shall be liable for any property damages caused by the activity. The Board shall charge the amount necessary to repair the damages and may deny the group further use of school facilities. (Education Code 40043)
Any group using school facilities shall be liable for any injuries resulting from its negligence during such use. The group shall bear the cost of insuring against this risk and defending itself against claims arising from this risk, and shall likewise hold harmless, defend and indemnify the District from all claims arising from said risk. At the time of application, the group shall provide the District proof of commercial liability coverage with limits of not less than $1 million per occurrence naming the District as an additional insured.
Applications for Use of Facilities
All school-related activities (clubs, class events, etc.) shall be given first priority in the use of facilities under the Civic Center Act. Thereafter, priority of facility use given to programs and organizations serving Hope ESD students. The next level of priority given to non-profit groups serving students in K - 12th grades. Thereafter, use of facilities shall be on a first-come, first-served basis. Continuing rental schedules may be interrupted for school use when necessary.
Any fees due shall be payable at the time of application.
No application will exceed one school year, July 1 to June 30.
Any person(s) applying for the use of school property on behalf of any society, group or organization may be asked to present to the District authorization from the group to make the application.
Any person(s) applying for the use of school property on behalf of a non-profit (tax exempt) society, group or organization, will be required to present to the District that organization's 501C3 exemption letters from the Internal Revenue Service and California State Franchise Tax Board.
Any person(s) or organization(s) applying for the use of school facilities may be asked to submit a statement of information indicating that the organization upholds the state and federal constitutions and does not intend to use school premises to commit unlawful acts.
Any failure to provide, upon request, any of the information set forth above shall be grounds for the District denying and/or revoking the right of any person or organization to use school facilities.
Any request for adjustment of fees for non-profit or municipal use MUST be approved by Superintendent or Designee. Adjustment of fees for commercial/private use MUST be approved by the Board of Trustees.
In an effort to protect the District's athletic and playing fields from overuse, the District reserves the right to close down the fields, from time to time, for the purpose of turf repair and reconditioning. The District further reserves the right to use movable boundary equipment, and to occasionally reposition boundaries and directions of play, as may be necessary.
Regulation HOPE SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: July 2000 Santa Barbara, California
revised: May 2014
revised: August 28, 2017