Kenwood ESD | AR 5111 Students
Age of Admittance to Kindergarten and First Grade
At the beginning of each school year, the Superintendent/Principal or designee shall enroll any eligible child who will have his/her fifth or sixth birthday on or before September 1 of that year into kindergarten or first grade, as applicable. (Education Code 48000, 48010)
Any child who will have his/her fifth birthday from September 2 through December 2 of the school year shall be offered a transitional kindergarten (TK) program in accordance with law and Board policy. (Education Code 48000)
(cf. 5123 - Promotion/Acceleration/Retention)
(cf. 6170.1 - Transitional Kindergarten)
On a case-by-case basis, a child who will turn five years old in a given school year may be enrolled in kindergarten or TK at any time during that school year with the approval of the child's parent/guardian, provided that: (Education Code 48000)
1. The Board of Trustees determines that admittance is in the best interest of the child.
2. The parent/guardian is given information regarding the advantages and disadvantages and any other explanatory information about the effect of this early admittance.
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
The Superintendent/Principal or designee shall make a recommendation to the Board regarding whether a child should be granted early entry to kindergarten. In doing so, the Superintendent/Principal or designee shall consider various factors including the availability of classroom space and any negotiated maximum class size.
(cf. 6151 - Class Size)
(cf. 7111 - Evaluating Existing Buildings)
Documentation of Age/Grade
Prior to the admission of a child to kindergarten or first grade, the parent/guardian shall present proof of the child's age. (Education Code 48002)
Evidence of the child's age may include: (Education Code 48002)
1. A certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
2. A duly attested baptism certificate
3. A passport
4. When none of the above documents is obtainable, an affidavit of the parent/guardian
5. Other means prescribed by the Board
Regulation KENWOOD SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: August 9, 2018 Kenwood, California