La Canada USD | AR 5141.24 Students
Specialized Health Care Services
The parent/guardian of students who require specialized physical health care services during the school day shall provide a written request for the needed physical health care services. (5 CCR 3051.12 (B)(3)(E)) This request shall include:
1. The student's name, address and phone number
2. The physician's name, address and phone number
3. The needed health care procedure
4. Statement authorizing qualified school personnel to perform the procedure, as approved by the Physician (5 CCR 3051.12(b)(3)(E))
5. Statement agreeing to notify the school immediately of any change in the child's regimen or the authorizing physician.
6. Statement agreeing to provide all supplies needed for the procedure
The student's physician shall submit a written statement authorizing the administration of the specified physical health care services. (5 CCR 3051.12(b)(3)(E)) This statement shall indicate:
1. The student's name and address
2. Condition for which treatment is to be given
3. Specific procedure to be given (5 CCR 3051.12)
4. Time schedules for the procedure (5 CCR 3051.12)
5. Precautions, possible untoward reactions and recommended intervention
(cf. 5125 - Student Records)
The program administrator shall name the qualified school personnel who will perform the service in accordance with standardized procedures.
A qualified school nurse, public health nurse or licensed physician and surgeon shall supervise physical health care services in the school setting in accordance with law. (Education Code 49434.5, 5 CCR 3051.12)
Qualified personnel shall be trained in accordance with law. They shall possess a current valid certificate from an approved program in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and shall be able to demonstrate current knowledge or community emergency medical resources and skill in the use of equipment and the performance of techniques necessary to provide health care services. (Education Code 49423.5, 5 CCR 3051.12 (B)(1)(C))
Schools shall provide appropriate accommodations for safety and necessary physical care services. The student's personal privacy and dignity shall be assured. (5 CCR 3051.12)
Staff designated to perform the specialized service shall maintain and sign a daily record of these services on a district form. (5 CCR 3051.12(b)(1)(E)) This form shall be kept either in the student's classroom or in the school health office, depending on the health services being provided.
Administrative LA CANADA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approval: May 13, 2003 La Canada Flintridge, California