La Canada USD | AR 5142 Students
The principal of each school shall ensure that certificated employees, paraprofessionals, campus aides, and campus security supervise the conduct and safety, and direct the play, of students of the school who are on school grounds before and after school, during recess, and during other intermissions.
Release of Student to Adult
Students shall be released during the school day in the custody of an adult only if:
1. The adult is the student's parent/legal guardian with custody.
(cf. 5021 - Noncustodial Parents)
2. The adult has appropriate identification and the verified authorization of the student's parent/legal guardian with custody.
3. The adult is a properly authorized law officer acting in accordance with the law.
(cf. 5145.11 - Questioning and Apprehension)
4. The adult is taking the student to emergency medical care, at the request of the principal or designee.
(cf. 5141.4 - Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Procedures)
1. Playgrounds should be designed for ease of supervision and should have:
a. Clearly defined entry and exit routes that lead to and from play areas without crossing other major activities.
b. Fences or other barriers limiting vehicle access to play areas.
c. Proper water drainage.
d. Safety rules posted near play equipment.
2. Playgrounds shall be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
3. Playground equipment shall be installed by the manufacturer, the manufacturer's Representative, or by district maintenance staff under the supervision of the manufacturer's representative. A signed statement shall be secured from the manufacturer's representative stating that the equipment has been properly installed in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.
4. Prior to the use of the equipment, appropriate cushioning material shall be installed in all areas where a student might fall. When selecting cushioning material, resiliency to prevent head injuries and resiliency and displacement to prevent long bone injuries shall be a priority.
Except for basketball standards, ball walls and tetherball poles, playground equipment shall not be installed over blacktop.
5. Regular maintenance of playground shall include:
a. Raking and removal of foreign objects from cushioning material
b. Cleaning of cushioning material from surrounding areas to minimize slippage.
c. Inspecting playground equipment and fences to ensure all parts are in good condition; e.g., checking structures for holes, cracks, splinters, possible rot at ground level, and sharp edges.
d. Following the manufacturer's specifications and recommended guidelines.
6. The Superintendent may appoint a Playground Safety Committee. The duties of the committee include recommending playground plans, reviewing of the annual playground accident report, reviewing of the playground audit recommendations, assisting with identification of playground funding needs, and other playground safety issues that are identified. The committee shall make recommendations for improvements to the Superintendent
Membership on the committee shall consist of one staff and one parent/guardian from each elementary school site, the Assistant Superintendent of Facilities and Operations, one representative from 7-12, a representative from PTA Council, and a representative from the Child Education Center. Appointments to the committee shall be for a term of two years.
In order to enable district staff to assist in locating missing children, the site principal shall ensure Department of Justice informational mailings on missing children are posted at the school. In elementary schools, this information shall be posted in areas restricted to adult use.
Elementary school principals are urged to review missing children's pictures whenever a new student enrolls or transfers into the school. (Education Code 38139)
Eye Protection Devices
Staff shall ensure that all students, teachers, and visitors wear eye protective devices when they are engaged in or observing an activity using hazardous substances likely to cause injury to the eyes. (Education Code 32030, 32031)
Administrative LA CANADA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
approval: December 5, 2006 La Ca†£° Flintridge, California