La Canada USD | BP 6146.1 Instruction
High School Graduation Requirements/Standards Of Proficiency
It shall be the responsibility of the Governing Board, upon recommendation of the Superintendent, to establish La Canada High School graduation requirements and minimum standards of proficiency.
The Board desires to prepare each student to obtain a diploma of high school graduation in order to provide students with opportunities for postsecondary education and/or employment.
In order to qualify for the awarding of a diploma of graduation from La Canada High School, a student must complete the approved requirements.
Because the prescribed course of study may not accommodate the needs of some students, the Board shall provide alternative means for the completion of prescribed courses in accordance with law.
Credit for Courses taken online will be accepted as per the following requirements:
1. Prior approval is required before signing up for an online class. The online credit request form is to be completed in advance and requires signatures of parent, student, counselor and administrator.
2. Only courses certified by UC/CSU or out of state equivalent are eligible. Institutions offering online courses must have a current UC/CSU or equivalent certified course list which includes the online course being taken.
3. Online courses for transfer credit must be taken at a WASC or equivalent accredited institution.
4. Online credit approval is granted for credit recovery, acceleration, or enrichment outside the LCHS curricular offerings.
5. Online courses taken for acceleration must be taken at a California school.
6. Credits Allowed
a. A maximum of 40 online credits may be applied to meeting graduation requirements with no more than one online course taken per regular school year.
b. A maximum of one online course may be taken per each regular school year while enrolled concurrently at LCHS and any other non-online institution.
c. These maximums may be waived in special circumstances only upon approval by the principal or designee.
(cf. 6146.11 - Alternative Credits Toward Graduation)
(cf. 6146.2 - Certificate of Proficiency/High School Equivalency)
35186 Williams Uniform Complaint Procedures
37252 Supplemental instructional programs
37254 Supplemental instruction based on failure to pass exit exam by end of grade 12
37254.1 Required student participation in supplemental instruction
47612 Enrollment in charter school
48200 Compulsory attendance
48412 Certificate of proficiency
48430 Continuation education schools and classes
48645.5 Acceptance of coursework
49701 Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
51224 Skills and knowledge required for adult life
51224.5 Algebra instruction
51225.3 Requirements for graduation
51225.5 Honorary diplomas; foreign exchange students
51228 Graduation requirements
51745 Independent study restrictions
52378 Supplemental school counseling program
66204 Certification of high school courses as meeting university admissions criteria
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5
O'Connell v. Superior Court (Valenzuela), (2006) 141 Cal.App.4th 1452
California Department of Education, California High School Exit Examination: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/hs
Policy LA CANADA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
adopted: April 19, 2011 La Canada Flintridge, California