La Canada USD | AR 6179 Instruction
Cautionary Notice 2010-13: AB 1610 (Ch. 724, Statutes of 2010) amended Education Code 37252.2 to relieve districts from the obligation, until July 1, 2013, to perform any activities that are deemed to be reimbursable state mandates under that section. As a result, certain provisions of the following policy or administrative regulation that reflect those requirements may be suspended.
Eligibility Based on Retention or Academic Deficiencies
Students in grades 2-9 who have been retained or recommended for retention shall be eligible for supplemental instruction under the following circumstances: (Education Code 37252.2)
1. With parental consent, the Superintendent or designee may require a student who has been retained to participate in the supplemental instructional program.
2. For the purposes of identifying students as eligible for supplemental instruction, a student shall be considered to be enrolled in a grade immediately upon completion of the preceding grade.
3. Students who were enrolled in grade 6 or 9 during the prior school year who have been retained or recommended for retention shall be eligible for summer school instruction.
(cf. 5123 - Promotion/Acceleration/Retention)
To the extent that the district provides supplemental instruction to students in grades 2-6 who are at risk of retention or have deficiencies in mathematics, reading or written expression, those students also shall be subject to the provisions set forth in items #2 and #3 above. (Education Code 37252.8)
The Superintendent or designee shall seek the active involvement of parents/guardians and classroom teachers in the development and implementation of supplemental instructional programs. (Education Code 37252.2, 37252.8)
An intensive remedial program in reading or written expression shall, as needed, include instruction in phoneme awareness, systematic explicit phonics and decoding, work attack skills, spelling and vocabulary, explicit instruction of reading comprehension, writing, and study skills. (Education Code 37252.2, 37252.8)
(cf. 6142.91 - Reading/Language Arts Instruction)
Eligibility Based on Progress Toward Passing Exit Examination
Students in grades 7-12 who do not demonstrate sufficient progress, as defined in Board policy, toward the state exit examination required for high school graduation shall be eligible for supplemental instruction under the following circumstances: (Education Code 37252)
1. For the purposes of this program a student shall be considered to be enrolled in a grade immediately upon completion of the preceding grade.
2. Students who were enrolled in grade 12 during the prior school year shall be eligible for supplemental instructional programs.
3. Students who do not possess sufficient English language skills to be assessed shall be considered students who do not demonstrate sufficient progress towards passing the exit examination and shall receive supplemental instruction designed to help them succeed on the exit examination.
(cf. 6146.1- High School Graduation Requirements)
(cf. 6162.52 - High School Exit Examination)
The curriculum of the supplemental instruction program shall reflect state academic content standards to the extent that the district curriculum is aligned with those state standards, and shall be designed to assist students to succeed on the exit examination. (Education Code 60851)
(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)
Regulation LA CANADA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Approved: July 15, 2003 La Canada Flintridge, California