Lawndale ESD | AR 6142.2 Instruction
World/Foreign Language Instruction
Content of Instruction
The district's instructional program for world languages shall be designed to help students gain knowledge about new language systems and use that knowledge to communicate. Students shall receive instruction which is aligned with state academic standards appropriate to their age and stage of linguistic and cultural proficiency in the following categories:
1. Content: Students shall be presented with a wide variety of content that is age and stage appropriate and increases in complexity.
(cf. 6011 - Academic Standards)
2. Communication: Students shall be taught to effectively convey and receive messages by engaging in or interpreting written, spoken, and/or signed languages.
3. Cultures: Students shall receive instruction that allows them to make connections and comparisons between language and culture.
(cf. 6142.94 - History/Social Science Instruction)
4. Structures: The curriculum shall address components of grammar, syntax, and language patterns appropriate to the language being taught.
5. Settings: To help students comprehend meaning and use language that is culturally appropriate, students shall develop knowledge of the context or setting in which language is used, such as common daily settings, interpersonal settings, and informal and formal settings.
Dual-Language Immersion Programs
The district's dual-language immersion programs are based on the following model:
1. A 90:10 model in which instruction is provided in the non-English target language for 90 percent of the time and in English for 10 percent of the time during the first year of the program, decreasing the percentage of time in the non-English language in each subsequent year until there is a 50:50 balance of languages
(cf. 6174 - Education for English Learners)
Native English speakers shall generally be admitted into the program only during the first grade level at which the program is offered, and English learners during the first or second grade level at which the program is offered. Bilingual students may enter the program at any time. On a case-by-case basis, the Superintendent or designee may admit a student later in the program if he/she determines that the student is adequately prepared for and will benefit from the program.
In enrolling students for the program, the district shall strive to maintain a ratio of half native English speakers and half English learners, and such ratio shall not fall below one-third for either language group except under exceptional circumstances.
(cf. 6151 - Class Size)
At the beginning of each school year or upon a student's enrollment, parents/guardians shall be provided information on the district's dual-language immersion program and other language acquisition programs available to students enrolled in the district, including, but not limited to, a description of each program. (Education Code 310)
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
Whenever one or more English learners are enrolled in a dual-language immersion classroom, the class shall be taught by a teacher who possesses the appropriate authorization issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
(cf. 4112.22 - Staff Teaching English Learners)
Regulation LAWNDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: August 16, 2018 Lawndale, California