Lemoore Union ESD | AR 5113 Students
Absences And Excuses
A student's absence shall be excused for the following reasons:
1. Personal illness (Education Code 48205)
2. Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer (Education Code 48205)
(cf. 5112.2 - Exclusions from Attendance)
3. Medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic appointment (Education Code 48205)
4. Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family, which shall be limited to one day if the service is conducted in California or three days if the service is conducted out of state (Education Code 48205)
Immediate family shall be defined as mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, spouse, son/son-in-law, daughter/daughter-in-law, brother, sister, or any relative living in the student's immediate household. (Education Code 45194, 48205)
5. Jury duty in the manner provided by law (Education Code 48205)
6. The illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child to whom the student is the custodial parent (Education Code 48205)
(cf. 5146 - Married/Pregnant/Parenting Students)
7. Upon advance written request by the parent/guardian and the approval of the principal or designee, justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to: (Education Code 48205)
a. Appearance in court
b. Attendance at a funeral service
c. Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion
d. Attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four hours per semester
e. To spend time with an immediate family member who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, as defined in Education Code 49701, and has been called to duty for deployment to a combat zone or a combat support position or is on leave from or has immediately returned from such deployment (Education Code 48205)
(cf. 6173.2 - Education of Children of Military Families)
8. To attend his/her naturalization ceremony to become a United States citizen. (Education Code 48205)
9. Participation in religious exercises or to receive moral and religious instruction in accordance with district policy, subject to the following conditions: (Education Code 46014)
a. The student's parent/guardian shall provide written consent for the absence.
b. In such instances, the student shall attend at least the minimum school day.
c. The student shall be excused from school for this purpose on no more than four days per school month.
(cf. 6141.2 - Recognition of Religious Beliefs and Customs)
Method of Verification
When a student who has been absent returns to school, he/she shall present a satisfactory explanation verifying the reason for the absence. Absences shall be verified by the student's parent/guardian, other person having control of the minor, or the student if age 18 or older. (Education Code 46012; 5 CCR 306)
The following methods may be used to verify student absences:
1. Written note, fax, email, or voice mail from parent/guardian or parent representative.
2. Conversation, in person or by telephone, between the verifying employee and the student's parent/guardian or parent representative. The employee shall subsequently record the following:
a. Name of student
b. Name of parent/guardian or parent representative
c. Name of verifying employee
d. Date(s) of absence
e. Reason for absence
3. Visit to the student's home by the verifying employee, or any other reasonable method which establishes the fact that the student was absent for the reasons stated. The employee shall document the verification and include the information specified in item #2 above.
4. Physician's verification.
a. When excusing students for confidential medical services or verifying such appointments, district staff shall not ask the purpose of such appointments but may contact a medical office to confirm the time of the appointment.
b. When a student has had 14 absences in the school year for illness verified by methods listed in #1-3 above, any further absences for illness shall be verified by a physician.
At the beginning of each school year, the Superintendent or designee shall:
1. Notify parents/guardians of the right to excuse a student from school in order to participate in religious exercises or to receive moral and religious instruction at their places of worship, or at other suitable places away from school property designated by a religious group, church or denomination (Education Code 46014, 48980)
2. Notify students in grades 7-12 and the parents/guardians of all students that school authorities may excuse any student from school to obtain confidential medical services without the consent of the student's parent/guardian (Education Code 46010.1)
3. Notify parents/guardians that a student shall not have his/her grade reduced or lose academic credit for any excused absence if missed assignments and tests that can reasonably be provided are satisfactorily completed within a reasonable period of time, and include the full text of Education Code 48205 in the notice (48980)
(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)
(cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
(cf. 6154 - Homework/Makeup Work)
Regulation LEMOORE UNION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: April 10, 2012 Lemoore, California
revised: May 9, 2017