Lemoore Union HSD | AR 6200 Instruction
With the exception of programs specified in Education Code 52570, adult education classes shall be located in a facility which clearly identifies the class as being open to the general public. (Education Code 52517, 52570)
Adults shall have first priority for enrollment in any adult education class, provided they enroll during the regular enrollment period. (Education Code 52523)
For purposes of the Adult Education Block Grant pursuant to Education Code 84900-84920, adults include persons 18 years of age or older. For other adult education programs, adults include persons age 18 or older and other persons not concurrently enrolled in a regular high school program. However, high school students may be concurrently enrolled in adult education under the conditions specified in the section "Concurrent Enrollment of High School Students" below. (Education Code 52610, 84901)
Programs and Courses
1. Programs in elementary and secondary basic skills, including programs leading to a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate
(cf. 6146.2 - Certificate of Proficiency/High School Equivalency)
2. Programs for immigrants eligible for educational services in citizenship, English as a second language, and workforce preparation
3. Programs for adults, including, but not limited to, older adults, that are primarily related to entry or reentry into the workforce
4. Programs for adults, including, but not limited to, older adults, that are primarily designed to develop knowledge and skills to assist elementary and secondary students to succeed academically in school
5. Programs for adults with disabilities
6. Short-term career technical education programs with high employment potential
7. Programs offering pre-apprenticeship training activities in coordination with one or more approved apprenticeship programs
The Superintendent or designee shall annually submit to the California Department of Education for approval the titles of classes that have been approved by the Governing Board to be offered in any of the program areas listed above.
Adults also may be enrolled in community service classes offered by the district. (Education Code 51811)
(cf. 6146.4 - Service Learning/Community Service Classes)
All adult education programs, courses, and classes and their enrollment period shall be published in the district's catalog of adult education classes provided to the public. (Education Code 52523)
1. A class for which high school credit is granted, if the class is taken by an individual who does not hold a high school diploma.
2. A class in an elementary subject or a class in English as a second language or citizenship, unless the student is a nonimmigrant alien with an F-1 visa status. Any nonimmigrant enrolled in these classes shall be charged a fee to cover the full cost of the instruction, not to exceed actual costs. The fee shall be adopted by the Board at a regular meeting at least 90 days before the beginning of the class for which the fee is charged.
Except for those fees required by law, the payment of fees may be waived in cases of hardship at the recommendation of the Superintendent or designee.
The Board may fix a charge, not to exceed cost, for books furnished to adult education students. In some cases books may be obtained from the district at cost or may be obtained on loan with the payment of a refundable deposit. In addition, materials purchased from the incidental expense account may be sold to adult school students for use in their classes. (Education Code 52615, 60410)
(cf. 3260 - Fees and Charges)
Regulation LEMOORE UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: November 10, 2016 Lemoore, California