To ensure timely and meaningful consultation, an LEA, or, if appropriate, an SEA, must consult with private school representatives and representatives of parents of parentally-placed private school children with disabilities during the design and development of special education and related services for the children regarding the following:
(a) Child find. The child find process, including--
(1) How parentally-placed private school children suspected of having a disability can participate equitably; and
(2) How parents, teachers, and private school officials will be informed of the process.
(b) Proportionate share of funds. The determination of the proportionate share of Federal funds available to serve parentally- placed private school children with disabilities under Sec. 300.133(b), including the determination of how the proportionate share of those funds was calculated.
(c) Consultation process. The consultation process among the LEA, private school officials, and representatives of parents of parentally- placed private school children with disabilities, including how the process will operate throughout the school year to ensure that parentally-placed children with disabilities identified through the child find process can meaningfully participate in special education and related services.
(d) Provision of special education and related services. How, where, and by whom special education and related services will be provided for parentally-placed private school children with disabilities, including a discussion of--
(1) The types of services, including direct services and alternate service delivery mechanisms; and
(2) How special education and related services will be apportioned if funds are insufficient to serve all parentally-placed private school children; and
(3) How and when those decisions will be made;
(e) Written explanation by LEA regarding services. How, if the LEA disagrees with the views of the private school officials on the provision of services or the types of services (whether provided directly or through a contract), the LEA will provide to the private school officials a written explanation of the reasons why the LEA chose not to provide services directly or through a contract.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control numbers 1820-0030 and 1820-0600)
(Authority: 20 USC. 1412(a)(10)(A)(iii))
(Federal Register: August 14, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 156))