Lemoore Union HSD | AR 5132 Students
Dress And Grooming
In cooperation with teachers, students and parents/guardians, the principal or designee shall establish school rules governing student dress and grooming which are consistent with law, Governing Board policy and administrative regulations. These school dress codes shall be regularly reviewed.
(cf. 0420 - School Plans/Site Councils)
Each school shall allow students to wear sun-protective clothing, including but not limited to hats, for outdoor use during the school day. (Education Code 35183.5)
1. Hats and head coverings (including bandannas, beanies, do-rags, etc.) are not allowed and are not to be worn during school hours or before school while on campus, with the following exceptions:
a. Wide brimmed, straw hats for protection from the sun are allowed anytime outdoors. The hat must have a 6 inch brim that provides reasonable protection to the face and neck areas.
b. Hats that are a legitimate part of a uniform are allowed outdoors. The cap must adhere to and match the overall uniform (e.g. NJROTC)
c. Any type of hat or head covering that is devoid of crude, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive references, and does not advocate racial, ethnic, religious prejudice, gang activities, or the use of drugs or alcohol, will be allowed at extracurricular events after regular school hours or on special dress up days approved by the administration.
In addition, the following guidelines shall apply to all regular school activities:
1. Shoes must be worn at all times. No steel toed shoes/boots. No slippers.
2. Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, fanny packs, gym bags, water bottles etc.) shall be free of writing, pictures or any other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, which bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, or which advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice.
3. Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. See-through or fish-net fabrics, halter tops, off-the-shoulder or low-cut tops, bare midriffs and skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh are prohibited.
4. Gym shorts may not be worn in classes other than physical education.
5. See-through or fishnet fabrics, bare midriffs, tube tops, men's tank undershirt, jeans with holes in them that allow skin to be shown, and clothing deemed immodest by school personnel are prohibited. Tops with spaghetti straps and halter tops must be accompanied by a shirt or blouse to sufficiently cover the shoulders. Tank tops must have two straps, with a minimum width of 1-1/2 inches. Tank tops, other than undergarments, must be fitted at the arm pits. Wearing pajamas and-or bedroom slippers is not allowed except on official dress up days authorized by the administration.
Coaches and teachers may impose more stringent dress requirements to accommodate the special needs of certain sports and/or classes.
(cf. 3260 - Fees and Charges)
No grade of a student participating in a physical education class shall be adversely affected if the student does not wear standardized physical education apparel because of circumstances beyond the student's control. (Education Code 49066)
(cf. 5121 - Grades/Evaluation of Student Achievement)
The principal, staff, students and parent/guardians at each school may establish reasonable dress and grooming regulations for times when students are engaged in extracurricular or other special school activities.
At individual schools that have a dress code prohibiting gang-related apparel at school or school activities, the principal, staff and parents/guardians participating in the development of the school safety plan shall define "gang-related apparel" and shall limit this definition to apparel that reasonably could be determined to threaten the health and safety of the school environment if it were worn or displayed on a school campus. (Education Code 32282)
Because gang-related symbols are constantly changing, definitions of gang-related apparel shall be reviewed at least once each semester and updated whenever related information is received.
Regulation LEMOORE UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: May 23, 2013 Lemoore, California