Lemoore Union HSD | E 6181 Instruction
Alternative Schools/Programs Of Choice
Notice of Alternative Schools
California State law authorizes all school district to provide for alternative schools. Section 58500 of the Education Code defines alternative school as a school or separate class group within a school which is operated in a manner designed to:
1. Maximize the opportunity for students to develop the positive values of self-reliance, initiative, kindness, spontaneity, resourcefulness, courage, creativity, responsibility, and joy.
2. Recognize that the best learning takes place when the student learns because of his/her desire to learn.
3. Maintain a learning situation maximizing student self-motivation and encouraging the student in his/her own time to follow his/her own interests. These interests may be conceived by him/her totally and independently or may result in whole or in part from a presentation by his/her teachers of choices of learning projects.
4. Maximize the opportunity for teachers, parents and students to cooperatively develop the learning process and its subject matter. This opportunity shall be a continuous, permanent process.
5. Maximize the opportunity for the students, teachers, and parents to continuously react to the changing world, including but not limited to the community in which the school is located.
In the event any parent, pupil or teacher is interested in further information concerning alternative schools, the county superintendent of schools, the administrative office of this district, and the principal's office in each attendance unit have copies of the law available for your information. This law particularly authorizes interested persons to request the governing board of the district to establish alternative school programs in each district.
Exhibit LEMOORE UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
version: May 23, 2013 Lemoore, California