Lemoore Union HSD | AR 6151 Instruction
Cautionary Notice: As added and amended by SBX3 4 (Ch. 12, Third Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), ABX4 2 (Ch. 2, Fourth Extraordinary Session, Statutes of 2009), and SB 70 (Ch. 7, Statutes of 2011), Education Code 42605 grants districts flexibility in "Tier 3" categorical programs. The Lemoore Union High School District has accepted this flexibility and thus is deemed in compliance with the statutory or regulatory program and funding requirements for these programs for the 2008-09 through 2014-15 fiscal years. As a result, the district may temporarily suspend certain provisions of the following policy or regulation that reflect these requirements. For further information, please contact the Superintendent or designee.
In order to maximize the educational advantages of smaller classes, training shall be provided to teachers providing direct instructional services in classes participating in the district's class size reduction program. This training shall include, but not be limited to, methods for providing each of the following: (Education Code 52127)
1. Individual instruction
2. Effective teaching, including classroom management, in smaller classes
3. Identifying and responding to student needs
4. Opportunities to build on the individual strengths of students
(cf. 4131 - Staff Development)
Class Size Reduction in Grades 9-12
When establishing a program to reduce class size in one or two courses in grade 9, the Superintendent or designee shall certify that, at each participating school: (Education Code 52084)
1. English courses are included in the program.
2. The second course, if any, is a course in mathematics, science, or social studies which counts towards graduation requirements pursuant to Education Code 51225.3.
3. The average class size in the school for the designated course(s) shall be no more than 20 students per certificated teacher, and there shall be no more than 22 students in any participating class.
Special education students enrolled in special day classes on a full-time basis and students enrolled in necessary small schools that receive funding pursuant to Education Code 42280 shall not be counted in calculating class sizes for purposes of this program.
4. The implementation of class size reduction has not adversely affected existing class size in other courses.
Regulation LEMOORE UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: May 9, 2013 Lemoore, California