Chapter 11. Special Programs Subchapter 21. Mathematics And Reading Professional Development Program
Training curriculum related to the EL professional development described in Education Code section 99237.5 shall be based on the criteria contained in Education Code section 99237.5, subdivisions (a) and (b), and the requirements of this section. The owner of the training curriculum shall submit its curriculum to SBE or its designee for approval by the SBE and include the following:
(a) Foundational knowledge specifically designed to assist EL pupils to attain a high level of English language proficiency and mastery of the California mathematics and English/language arts academic content standards that emphasizes the following:
(1) Instructional strategies using SBE adopted instructional materials for kindergarten through grade eight, standards-aligned instructional materials for grades nine through twelve, and certified supplemental materials for English learners to assist teachers in understanding when and how to use them to address the instructional needs of all EL pupils;
(2) A thorough review of the specific sections of the curriculum frameworks that pertain to EL pupils, academic content standards, and ELD standards;
(3) Current and confirmed scientific research related to the instructional practices for EL pupils;
(4) Readings and discussions of other pertinent materials related to the language and literacy of EL pupils which address the value of the diagnostic nature of standardized tests, the STAR system, the CELDT, curriculum-embedded assessments, and the CAHSEE; and
(5) Essential components of a comprehensive program of ELD that include actively developing all domains of language, addressing various levels of English proficiency and academic English while creating a supportive learning environment for language learning.
(b) ELD instruction designed to meet the language and academic instructional needs of EL pupils that emphasizes the following:
(1) Effective use of the ELD components of the SBE adopted instructional materials for kindergarten through grade eight specifically designed to help teachers of EL pupils understand ELD content;
(2) Current and confirmed scientific research findings related to the instructional practices for second language learning;
(3) A thorough understanding of different levels of English language proficiency and how to plan instruction for each level;
(4) The planning of ELD instruction to effectively and efficiently use ELD standards and certified supplemental materials for English learners as tools for ELD instruction; and
(5) Development of vocabulary and language structures for purposeful oral and written communication that emphasizes structured opportunities for practice.
(c) Reading/language arts and content area instruction to help teachers of EL pupils understand and apply knowledge of linguistic structures to SBE adopted instructional materials for kindergarten through grade eight, standards-aligned instructional materials for grades nine through twelve, and certified supplemental materials for English learners that emphasizes the following:
(1) Knowledge of reading/language arts instruction to support EL pupils in oral language development, vocabulary development, and writing development;
(2) A thorough review and analysis of linguistic features;
(3) Contrastive analysis that leads to understanding the transfer of skills and concepts from one language to another;
(4) Text and lesson analysis for language and content demands; and
(5) Analysis of second language markers in oral and written language production to inform instruction.
Education Code 99236
Education Code 99237
(Amended Register 2007, No. 47)