(a) A program participant may withdraw from program participation by submitting to the Secretary of State written notification of withdrawal and his or her current identification card. Certification shall be terminated on the date of receipt of this notification.
(b) The Secretary of State may terminate a program participant's certification and invalidate his or her authorization card for any of the following reasons:
(1) The program participant's certification term has expired and certification renewal has not been completed.
(2) The Secretary of State has determined that false information was used in the application process to qualify as a program participant or that participation in the program is being used as a subterfuge to avoid detection of illegal or criminal activity or apprehension by law enforcement.
(3) The program participant no longer resides at the residential address provided to the Secretary of State, and has not provided at least seven days' prior notice in writing of a change in address.
(4) A service of process document or mail forwarded to the program participant by the Secretary of State is returned as nondeliverable.
(5) The program participant who is a provider, employee, or volunteer fails to disclose a change in employment, or termination as volunteer or provider.
(6) The program participant, who reaches 18 years of age during his or her certification term, has not renewed his or her certification within 60 days of him or her reaching 18 years of age.
(c) The Secretary of State may refuse to renew a program participant's certification if the adult program participant or the parent or guardian acting on behalf of a minor or incapacitated person has abandoned his or her domicile in this state.
(d) If termination is based on any of the reasons under subdivision (b) or (c), the Secretary of State shall send written notification of the intended termination to the program participant. The program participant shall have 30 business days in which to appeal the termination under procedures developed by the Secretary of State.
(e) The Secretary of State shall notify in writing the county elections official and authorized personnel of the appropriate county clerk's office, and county recording office of the program participant's certification withdrawal, invalidation, expiration, or termination.
(f) Upon receipt of this termination notification, authorized personnel shall transmit to the Secretary of State all appropriate administrative records pertaining to the program participant and the record transmitting agency is no longer responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of a terminated program participant's record.
(g) Following termination of program participant certification as a result of paragraph (2) of subdivision (b), the Secretary of State may disclose information contained in the participant's application.
(Amended by Stats. 2012, Ch. 270, Sec. 9.)