Public Employees' Health Benefits; Article 2. Definitions
(a) A person, other than a National Guard member defined in Section 20380.5, who has retired within 120 days of separation from employment and who receives a retirement allowance under any state or University of California retirement system to which the state was a contributing party.
(b) A surviving family member receiving an allowance in place of an annuitant who has retired as provided in subdivision (a), or as the survivor of a deceased employee under Section 21541, 21546, 21547, or 21547.7, or similar provisions of any other state retirement system.
(c) A person who has retired within 120 days of separation from employment with a contracting agency as defined in Section 22768 or, if applicable, consistent with the provisions of subdivision (b) of Section 22893, and who receives a retirement allowance from the retirement system provided by that employer, or a surviving family member who receives the retirement allowance in place of the deceased.
(d) A judge who receives the benefits provided by subdivision (e) of Section 75522.
(e) A person who was a state member for 30 years or more and who, at the time of retirement, was a local member employed by a contracting agency.
(f) A Member of the Legislature or an elective officer of the state whose office is provided by the California Constitution, who has at least eight years of credited service, and who meets the following conditions:
(1) Permanently separates from state service on or after January 1, 1988, and not more than 10 years before or 10 years after his or her minimum age for service retirement, or is an inactive member of the Legislators? Retirement System pursuant to Section 9355.2.
(2) Receives a retirement allowance under a state retirement system supported in whole or in part by state funds other than the University of California Retirement System.
(g) An exempt employee who meets all of the following conditions:
(1) Has at least 10 years of credited state service that includes at least two years of credited service while an exempt employee.
(2) Permanently separates from state service on or after January 1, 1988, and not more than 10 years before or 10 years after his or her minimum age for service retirement.
(3) Receives a retirement allowance under a state retirement system supported in whole or in part by state funds other than the University of California Retirement System.
(h) A person receiving a survivor allowance pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 21570) of Chapter 14 of Part 3 provided that he or she was eligible to enroll in a health benefit plan on the date of the member?s death, on whose account the survivor allowance is payable.
(i) (1) A family member of a deceased retired member of the State Teachers? Retirement Plan, if the deceased member meets the following conditions:
(A) Retired within 120 days of separation from employment.
(B) Retired before the member?s school employer elected to contract for health benefit coverage under this part.
(C) Prior to his or her death, received a retirement allowance that did not provide for a survivor allowance to family members.
(2) The family member shall elect coverage as an annuitant within one calendar year from the date that the deceased member?s school employer elected to contract for health benefit coverage under this part.
(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 525, Sec. 1.)