(a) ?Employee? means:
(1) An officer or employee of the state or of any agency, department, authority, or instrumentality of the state, including the University of California.
(2) An employee who is employed by a contracting agency and participates in a publicly funded retirement system provided by the contracting agency, or an officer or official of a contracting agency.
(3) An annuitant receiving a retirement allowance pursuant to Section 21228 who is employed by a contracting agency.
(4) A teaching associate, lecturer, coach, or interpreter employed by the California State University who is appointed to work in an academic year classification for at least six weighted teaching units for one semester, or for at least six weighted teaching units for two or more consecutive quarter terms. This paragraph does not apply to a state member employed by the California State University, unless provided for in a memorandum of understanding reached pursuant to Chapter 12 (commencing with Section 3560) of Division 4 of Title 1 or authorized by the Trustees of the California State University for employees excluded from collective bargaining.
(5) All employees in job classes specified in subdivision (a) of Section 14876.
(6) An individual not described in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, who is both of the following:
(A) A ?full-time employee? of the state or a contracting agency within the meaning of Section 4980H of Title 26 of the United States Code and applicable United States Treasury Department regulations and interpretive guidance.
(B) Designated in writing as an employee for purposes of this section by the state or the contracting agency, as applicable.
(b) Except as otherwise provided by this part, ?employee? does not include any of the following:
(1) A person employed on an intermittent, irregular, or less than half-time basis, or an employee similarly situated.
(2) A National Guard member described in Section 20380.5.
(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 778, Sec. 7.)