For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
(a) "Annuitant" means any of the following:
(1) A person who has retired from an employer described in subdivision (c) and receives a retirement allowance from the Public Employees' Retirement System.
(2) A surviving family member receiving an allowance in place of an annuitant who has retired as provided in paragraph (1), or as the survivor of a deceased employee under Section 21541, 21546, or 21547.7.
(b) "Board" means the Board of Administration of the Public Employees' Retirement System.
(c) "Employer" means an employer described in Section 20022, 20063, or 20071.
(d) "Family member" means any of the following:
(1) An annuitant's spouse or domestic partner.
(2) Any unmarried child, including an adopted child, a stepchild, or recognized natural child under 23 years of age who is economically dependent upon the annuitant, when there exists a parent-child relationship with the annuitant.
(3) An unmarried child who at the time of attaining 23 years of age is incapable of self-support because of physical or mental disability that existed continuously from a date prior to attainment of 23 years of age, and who continues in family member status until termination of that status.
(Added by Stats. 2009, Ch. 265, Sec. 1.)