(a) As used in this article, the term "local agency" means every city, whether organized under general law or by charter, county, city and county, and district, including school districts of any kind or class, empowered to acquire and hold real property.
(b) As used in this article, the term "surplus land" means land owned by any local agency, that is determined to be no longer necessary for the agency's use, except property being held by the agency for the purpose of exchange.
(c) As used in this article, the term "open-space purposes" means the use of land for public recreation, enjoyment of scenic beauty, or conservation or use of natural resources.
(d) As used in this article, the term "persons and families of low or moderate income" means the same as provided under Section 50093 of the Health and Safety Code.
(e) As used in this article, the term "exempt surplus land" means either of the following:
(1) Surplus land that is transferred pursuant to Section 25539.4.
(2) Surplus land that is (A) less than 5,000 square feet in area, (B) less than the minimum legal residential building lot size for the jurisdiction in which the parcel is located, or 5,000 square feet in area, whichever is less, or (C) has no record access and is less than 10,000 square feet in area; and is not contiguous to land owned by a state or local agency that is used for park, recreational, open-space, or low- and moderate-income housing purposes and is located neither within an enterprise zone pursuant to Section 7073 nor a designated program area as defined in Section 7082. If the surplus land is not sold to an owner of contiguous land, it is not considered exempt surplus land and is subject to this article.
(f) Notwithstanding subdivision (e), the following properties are not considered exempt surplus land and are subject to this article:
(1) Lands within the coastal zone.
(2) Lands within 1,000 yards of a historical unit of the State Parks System.
(3) Lands within 1,000 yards of any property that has been listed on, or determined by the State Office of Historic Preservation to be eligible for, the National Register of Historic Places.
(4) Lands within the Lake Tahoe region as defined in Section 66905.5.
(Amended by Stats. 2008, Ch. 532, Sec. 9.)