(a) A proposal to form a new county service area may be made by petition. The petition shall do all of the things required by Section 56700. In addition, the petition shall do all of the following:
(1) State which services and facilities it is proposed that the county service area be authorized to provide upon formation.
(2) Set forth the proposed methods by which the county service area will finance those services and facilities, including, but not limited to, special taxes, benefit assessments, and fees.
(3) Propose a number or distinctive name for the county service area. Notwithstanding Section 7530, every county service area shall have the words "County Service Area" within its name.
(b) The petitions, the proponents, and the procedures for certifying the sufficiency of the petitions shall comply with Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 56700) of Part 3 of Division 5. In the case of any conflict between that chapter and this article, the provisions of this article shall prevail.
(c) As determined by the local agency formation commission, the petition shall be signed by not less than either:
(1) Twenty-five percent of the registered voters living in the area to be included in the county service area.
(2) Twenty-five percent of the number of owners of land who own not less than 25 percent of the assessed value of land within the area to be included in the county service area.
(Added by Stats. 2008, Ch. 158, Sec. 2.)