(a) There is hereby created the Commission on State Mandates, which shall consist of seven members as follows:
(1) The Controller.
(2) The Treasurer.
(3) The Director of Finance.
(4) The Director of the Office of Planning and Research
(5) A public member with experience in public finance, appointed by the Governor and approved by the Senate.
(6) Two members from the following three categories appointed by the Governor and approved by the Senate, provided that no more than one member shall come from the same category:
(A) A city council member.
(B) A member of a county or city and county board of supervisors.
(C) A governing board member of a school district as defined in Section 17519.
(b) Each member appointed pursuant to paragraph (5) or (6) of subdivision (a) shall be subject to both of the following:
(1) The member shall serve for a term of four years subject to renewal.
(2) The member shall receive per diem of one hundred dollars ($100) for each day actually spent in the discharge of official duties and shall be reimbursed for any actual and necessary expenses incurred in connection with the performance of duties as a member of the commission.
(Amended by Stats. 1996, Ch. 154, Sec. 1.)