Chapter 4 Employees Subchapter 1 Equal Employment Opportunity Programs Article 2 Other Specific Responsibilities of Community College Districts Recruitment
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, community college districts shall actively recruit from both within and outside the district work force to attract qualified applicants for all new openings. This shall include outreach designed to ensure that all persons, including persons from monitored groups, are provided the opportunity to seek employment with the district. The requirement of open recruitment shall apply to all new full-time and part-time openings in all job categories and classifications, including, but not limited to, faculty, classified employees, categorically funded positions, the chief executive officer, and all other executive/administrative/managerial positions. Recruitment for full-time faculty and educational administrator positions shall be at least statewide and, at a minimum, shall include seeking qualified applicants listed in the California Community Colleges Equal Employment Opportunity Registry and posting job announcements with the Registry. Recruitment for part-time faculty positions may be conducted separately for each new opening or by annually establishing a pool of eligible candidates, but in either case full and open recruitment is required consistent with this section.
(b)(1) "In-house or promotional only" recruitment shall not be used to fill any new opening for any position described in subdivision (a) except when the position is being filled on an interim basis for the minimum time necessary to allow for full and open recruitment; provided however, that no interim appointment or series of interim appointments exceed one year in duration. The Chancellor may approve an extension of up to one additional year if the district demonstrates "business necessity" as defined in section 53001(b).
(2) If a district believes justification exists for use of the exception listed in subsection (b)(1), it shall so notify the Equal Employment Opportunity Advisory Committee established pursuant to section 53005 and the Chancellor at least ten (10) working days prior to offering the position to a candidate.
(3) Where in-house or promotional only recruitment is permitted, the district shall comply with its established hiring procedures and all district employees shall be afforded the opportunity to apply and demonstrate that they are qualified.
(4) The job announcement for the interim position shall comply with section 53022 and the selection process shall be consistent with the requirements of this subchapter.
(c) For purposes of this section, a new opening is not created when:
(1) there is a reorganization that does not result in a net increase in the number of employees;
(2) one or more lateral transfers are made and there is no net increase in the number of employees;
(3) a position which is currently occupied by an incumbent is upgraded, reclassified, or renamed without significantly altering the duties being performed by the individual;
(4) the faculty in a division or department elect one faculty member to serve as a chairperson for a prescribed limited term;
(5) the position is filled by a temporary, short-term, or substitute employee appointed pursuant to Education Code sections 87422, 87480, 87482.5(b), 88003, 88106 or 88109;
(6) a part-time faculty member is assigned to teach the same or fewer hours he or she has previously taught in the same discipline without a substantial break in service. For purposes of this section, "a substantial break in service" means more than one calendar year or such different period as may be defined by a collective bargaining agreement; or
(7) an individual not currently employed by the district, who is specially trained, experienced, and competent to serve as an administrator, and who satisfies the minimum qualifications applicable to the position, is engaged to serve as an administrator through a professional services contract. No appointment or series of appointments pursuant to this provision may exceed a period of one year.
Education Code 66271.1
Education Code 66700
Education Code 70901
Government Code 11138
Statutes of 1988, Chapter 923 4
Statutes of 1988, Chapter 923 66010.2
Statutes of 1988, Chapter 923 66030
Statutes of 1988, Chapter 923 66071
Statutes of 1988, Chapter 923 66270
Education Code 87360
Government Code 11135-11139.5
(Amended by Register 2003, No. 46)