Chapter 4. Employees Subchapter 1. Equal Employment Opportunity Programs Article 2. Other Specific Responsibilities of Community College Districts Applicant Pool
(a) The application for employment shall afford each applicant an opportunity to voluntarily identify his or her gender, ethnic group identification and, if applicable, his or her disability. This information shall be kept confidential and shall be used only in research, validation, monitoring, evaluating the effectiveness of the district's equal employment opportunity program, or any other purpose specifically authorized in this subchapter, or by any applicable statute or regulation.
(b) After the application deadline has passed, the composition of the initial applicant pool shall be analyzed to ensure that any failure to obtain projected representation for any monitored group is not due to discriminatory recruitment procedures. If necessary, the application deadline shall be extended and additional recruitment shall be conducted that eliminates discriminatory recruitment procedures and ensures that recruitment efforts provide a full and fair opportunity for participation to a wide diversity of potential applicants. When recruitment efforts have offered an opportunity for participation to a wide diversity of potential applicants or further recruitment efforts would be futile, applications shall be screened to determine which candidates satisfy job specifications set forth in the job announcement.
(c) Before the selection process continues, the composition of the qualified applicant pool shall be analyzed to ensure that no monitored group is adversely impacted pursuant to section 53001(a). If adverse impact is found to exist, the chief executive officer or his or her designee shall take effective steps to address the adverse impact before the selection process continues. Such steps may include, but are not limited to:
(1) extending the deadline and undertaking inclusive outreach efforts to ensure that members of the adversely impacted group have equal opportunity to seek employment with the district;
(2) including all applicants who were screened out on the basis of any locally established qualifications beyond state minimum qualifications which have not been specifically demonstrated to be job-related and consistent with business necessity through a process meeting the requirements of federal law or which are not among those which the Board of Governors has found to be job-related and consistent with business necessity throughout the community college system.
(d) If adverse impact persists after taking steps required under subdivision (c), the selection process may proceed only if:
(1) the job announcement does not require qualifications beyond the statewide minimum qualifications; or
(2) locally established qualifications beyond state minimum qualifications, if any, are demonstrated to be job-related and consistent with business necessity through a process meeting the requirements of federal law and suitable alternative selection procedures to reduce the adverse impact were unavailable; or
(3) the particular qualification beyond statewide minimum qualifications which are used in the job announcement are among those which the Board of Governors has found to be job-related and consistent with business necessity throughout the community college system.
(e) The district may not advertise or utilize in future hiring processes for the same position or a substantially similar position any locally established qualifications beyond state minimum qualifications that the district was unable to verify under subsection (b)(2) unless such qualifications are so verified in advance of commencing any such future hiring process.
Education Code 66271.1
Education Code 66700
Education Code 70901
Government Code 11138
Statutes of 1988, Chapter 923, Section 4
Education Code 66010.2
Education Code 66030
Education Code 66071
Education Code 6270
Education Code 87360
Government Code 11135-11139.5
(Amended By Register 2002, No. 35)