Chapter 1. Credentials Issued Under The Teacher Preparation and Licensing Law of 1970. Article 2. Credential Types, Authorizations, and Requirements. Specific Requirements for the Level II Education Specialist Instruction Credential.
(a) The minimum requirements for the level II Education Specialist Instruction Credential include all of the following:
(1) possession of a level I Education Specialist Instruction Credential;
(2) completion of the study of health education, as described in Education Code Section 44259(c)(4)(A);
(3) completion of the study of computer based technology, including the uses of technology in educational settings, as described in Education Code Section 44259(c)(4)(C);
(4) completion of a course of study that requires each candidate to demonstrate advanced level knowledge and skills that are different than the requirements for the approved level I Education Specialist Instruction Credential. The course of study shall include an individualized preparation program plan collaboratively developed by the candidate, the preparing institution and designee(s) of the employing school district, county office, or special education local planning area.
(A) a minimum of 3/4 of each candidate's program plan shall consist of coursework approved by the recommending institution of higher education, with the specific content, including planned field experiences, to be identified within the candidate's individualized preparation program plan.
(B) the remaining 1/4 of the unit credit for each candidate's individualized preparation program plan may consist of electives related to the areas of special education or general education selected from one or more of the following:
1. coursework provided by the preparing institution of higher education accredited by the Committee on Accreditation.
2. field experience elements within the accredited program which are in addition to academic credit given.
3. alternative training that provides knowledge and related skills presented by agencies approved jointly by the candidate's employing agency and the institution of higher education accredited for this program.
(5) completion of a Commission-approved professional preparation program accredited by the Committee on Accreditation in the Level II credential specialty area(s) sought, as provided in Education Code Section 44373(c); and
(6) a minimum of two years of successful experience in a full-time position in a public school or private school of equivalent status, while holding the level I Education Specialist Instruction Credential, as outlined in subsection (A) below and verified by the employing agency.
(A) Full-Time Teaching Experience: This is defined as teaching a minimum of 4 hours a day, unless the minimum statutory attendance requirement for the students served is less. Experience must be on a daily basis and for at least 75% of the school year. Experience may be accrued in increments of a minimum of one semester. No part-time or combination of teaching with other school employment will be accepted. All experience must be gained in public schools in California. The candidate shall be responsible for obtaining verification of this experience on the official letterhead of the district or districts by the superintendent, assistant superintendent, director of personnel, or director of human resources in which the teacher was employed.
(b) The individualized preparation program plan shall be filed with the preparing institution and may be revised as needed upon agreement by the candidate, the preparing institution, and the employing school district, county office, or special education local planning area.
(c) The last date that a program sponsor may admit a candidate to the Level II approved program is December 31, 2014 and the program shall be completed by January 31, 2019.
(d) Period of Validity.
(1) a level II Education Specialist Instruction Credential issued on the basis of the completion of all requirements in subsections (a) or (b) is valid for five years.
Education Code 44225
Education Code 44225
Education Code 44227
Education Code 44251
Education Code 44259
Education Code 44265
Education Code 44373
(Amended by Register 2010, No. 22.)