Chapter 1. Credentials Issued Under The Teacher Preparation and Licensing Law of 1970. Article 2. Credential Types, Authorizations, and Requirements. Specific Requirements for the Level I Education Specialist Instruction Credential.
(a) The minimum requirements for the level I Education Specialist Instruction Credential for applicants who complete a professional preparation program in California shall include (1) through (6):
(1) a baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education;
(2) the completion of a Commission-approved Education Specialist program of professional preparation, as appropriate to the specialty area(s) sought as provided in Education Code Section 44373(c);
(3) meet the basic skills requirement as described in Education Code Section 44252, unless exempt by statute;
(4) verification of subject-matter knowledge either by:
(A) passage of examination(s) as provided in Education Code Sections 44280, 44281, and 44282 or by completion of a subject-matter program as provided for in Education Code Section 44310 ; as appropriate for the multiple subject or single subject teaching credential; or
(B) candidates for the specialist category of Early Childhood Special Education or holders of a California clear, professional clear, or life teaching credential requiring a baccalaureate or higher degree and a program of professional preparation, including student teaching, are exempt from this subject matter competence requirement;
(5) demonstration of the study of alternative methods of developing English language skills, including the study of reading, as described in Education Code Section 44259(b)(4) and passage of the reading instruction competence assessment as provided in Education Code Section 44283;
(6) knowledge of the Constitution of the United States, as specified in Education Code Section 44335; and
(7) An individual who has completed requirements (1) through (6) above but is not currently employed as a teacher may apply for a Certificate of Eligibility which verifies completion of all requirements for the level I credential and authorizes the holder to seek employment.
(b) Period of Validity.
(1) A level I Education Specialist Instruction Credential issued on the basis of the completion of all requirements in subsection (a) is valid for five years.
(c) The last date that a program sponsor may admit a candidate to the Level I approved program is December 31, 2011 and the program shall be completed by January 31, 2013.
Education Code 44225
Education Code 44225
Education Code 44227(a)
Education Code 44251
Education Code 44252
Education Code 44265
Education Code 44275.3
Education Code 44280
Education Code 44281
Education Code 44283
Education Code 44310
Education Code 44259(b)(4)
Education Code 44335
Education Code 44373(c)
(Amended by Register 2010, No. 22.)