(a) At the discretion of the appointing power, excluded employees as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 3527, may transfer eligible leave credits to an excluded employee when a catastrophic illness or injury occurs.
(b) For the purposes of this section, the following terms are defined as follows:
(1) Catastrophic illness or injury means an illness or injury that is expected to incapacitate the employee and that creates a financial hardship because the employee has exhausted all of his or her sick leave and other paid time off. Catastrophic illness or injury may also include an incapacitated family member if this results in the employee being required to take time off from work for an extended period of time to care for the family member and the employee has exhausted all of his or her sick leave and other paid time off.
(2) Eligible leave credits include annual leave, vacation, compensating time off (CTO), and holiday leave credits, but do not include sick leave.
(c) Eligible leave credits may be donated for a catastrophic illness or injury if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) Upon the request of an employee.
(2) Upon determination by the department director that the employee in the department is unable to work due to the employee's or family member's catastrophic illness or injury.
(3) The employee has exhausted all paid leave credit.
(d) If catastrophic leave is approved by the department's director or his or her designee, any excluded employee, upon written notice, may donate eligible leave credits with a minimum donation of one hour. Donations thereafter must be in whole hour increments.
Donations will be reflected as an hour-for-hour deduction from the leave balance of the donating employee. When transferring eligible leave credits, the state agency should ensure that only credits that may be needed are transferred. An excluded employee may donate eligible leave credits to a represented employee and may be the recipient of eligible leave credits donated by a represented employee.
(e) In order to receive donated leave credits, an excluded employee must provide appropriate verification of illness or injury as determined by the state agency. An excluded employee eligible for this program shall have any time that is donated credited to his or her account in one-hour increments. Donated credits shall be reflected as an hour-for-hour addition to the vacation or annual leave balance of the receiving employee. Use of donated credits may not exceed a maximum of 12 continuous months for any one catastrophic illness. The total amount of leave credits donated may not exceed an amount sufficient to ensure the continuance of regular compensation.
All transfers of leave credits are irrevocable. An excluded employee who receives time through this program shall use any leave credits he or she continues to accrue on a monthly basis prior to receiving time from this program.
(Added by Stats. 2005, Ch. 528, Sec. 1.)