Chapter 6. Curriculum And Instruction Subchapter 2. Approval By The Chancellor Article 1. Approval Of Credit Educational Programs
(a) The governing board of each community college district shall establish policies for, and may approve individual degree-applicable credit courses which are offered as part of an educational program approved by the Chancellor pursuant to section 55130. Such courses need not be separately approved by the Chancellor.
(b) Effective for courses to be offered beginning in Fall 2007, a community college district may, until December 31, 2012, approve and offer nondegree- applicable credit courses and degree-applicable credit courses which are not part of an approved educational program without separate approval by the Chancellor, provided that the district continuously complies with the following requirements:
(1) the college curriculum committee and district governing board have approved each such course pursuant to section 55002;
(2) the district submits a certification by September 30th of each year verifying that the persons who will serve on the curriculum committee and others who will be involved in the curriculum approval process at each college within the district for that academic year have received training consistent with guidelines prescribed by the Chancellor on the review and approval of courses not part of educational programs;
(3) no course which has previously been denied separate approval by the Chancellor or is part of a program that has been disapproved by the Chancellor may be offered pursuant to this subdivision unless the proposed course has been modified to adequately address the reasons for denial and has been subsequently reapproved by the college curriculum committee and district governing board;
(4) no group of courses approved pursuant to this subdivision which total 18 or more semester units or 27 or more quarter units in a single four-digit Taxonomy of Programs code may be linked to one another by means of prerequisites or corequisites;
(5) no student may be permitted to count 18 or more semester units or 27 or more quarter units of coursework approved pursuant to this subdivision toward satisfying the requirements for a certificate or other document evidencing completion of an educational program or towards a major or area of emphasis for completion of an associate degree; and
(6) the district promptly reports all courses approved pursuant to this subdivision to the Chancellor through the Chancellor's Office Management Information System.
(c) The Chancellor may, at any time, terminate the ability of a district to offer courses pursuant to subdivision (b) if he or she determines that a district has failed to comply with all of the conditions set forth in that subdivision. In that event, the district will become immediately subject to the requirements of subdivision (d).
(d) Effective January 1, 2013, or earlier if so required by subdivision (c), the governing board of each community college district shall separately submit for approval by the Chancellor all nondegree-applicable credit courses and individual degree-applicable credit courses which are not part of any approved educational program.
Education Code 66700
Education Code 70901
Education Code 70901
Education Code 78401
(Added by Register 2007, No. 35.)