Title 5. Education.Division 6. California Community Colleges.Chapter 6. Curriculum and Instruction.Subchapter 1. Programs, Courses and Classes.Article 4. Course Repetition and Academic Renewal. Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition
(a) The governing board of each community college district shall adopt and publish policies and procedures pertaining to the alleviation of previously recorded substandard academic work, as defined in section 55000, which is not reflective of a student's demonstrated ability. Such policies and procedures shall include a clear statement of the educational principles upon which they are based, and shall be referred to as academic renewal procedures. When academic renewal procedures adopted by the district permit previously recorded, substandard course work to be disregarded in the computation of grade point averages, the permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history.
(b) Policies and procedures adopted pursuant to subdivision (a) shall not conflict with:
(1) section 55025 of this subchapter and Education Code section 76224, pertaining to the finality of grades assigned by instructors; or
(2) chapter 2.5 (commencing with section 59020) of division 10 of this part pertaining to the retention and destruction of records.
(c) The policies and procedures adopted pursuant to subdivision (a) shall address all of the following:
(1) The maximum amount of coursework that may be alleviated;
(2) The amount of academic work to have been completed at a satisfactory level (minimum 2.00) subsequent to the coursework to be alleviated;
(3) The length of time to have elapsed since the coursework to be alleviated was recorded;
(4) A description of any specific courses and/or categories of courses that are, for any reason, exempt from consideration under the alleviation procedures;
(5) The procedures to be followed by students in petitioning for alleviation; and
(6) The personnel responsible for implementing the procedures.
Education Code 66700
Education Code 70901
Education Code 70901
Education Code 70902
Education Code 76224
(Amended by Register 2013, No. 32.)