Chapter 2 Pupils Subchapter 3 Health and Safety of Pupils Article 4.1 Administering Medication to Pupils or Otherwise Assisting Pupils in the Administration of Medication During the Regular School Day Definitions
As used in Section 49423 and subdivision (b) of Section 49423.6 of the Education Code and in this article:
(a) "Authorized health care provider" means an individual who is licensed by the State of California to prescribe medication.
(b) "Medication" may include not only a substance dispensed in the United States by prescription, but also a substance that does not require a prescription, such as over-the-counter remedies, nutritional supplements, and herbal remedies.
(c) "Medication log" may consist of a form developed by the local education agency for the documentation of the administration of the medication to the pupil or otherwise assisting the pupil in the administration of the medication. The medication log may include the following:
(1) Pupil's name;
(2) Name of medication the pupil is required to take;
(3) Dose of medication;
(4) Method by which the pupil is required to take the medication;
(5) Time the medication is to be taken during the regular school day;
(6) Date(s) on which the pupil is required to take the medication;
(7) Authorized health care provider's name and contact information; and
(8) A space for daily recording of medication administration to the pupil or otherwise assisting the pupil in administration of the medication, such as date, time, amount, and signature of the individual administering the medication or otherwise assisting in administration of the medication.
(d) "Medication record" may include:
(1) The authorized health care provider's written statement;
(2) The written statement of the parent or legal guardian;
(3) The medication log; and
(4) Any other written documentation related to the administration of the medication to the pupil or otherwise assisting the pupil in the administration of the medication.
(e) "Other designated school personnel" may include any individual employed by the local education agency who:
(1) Has consented to administer the medication to the pupil or otherwise assist the pupil in the administration of medication; and
(2) May legally administer the medication to the pupil or otherwise assist the pupil in the administration of the medication.
(f) "Parent or legal guardian" means the individual recognized by the local education agency as having authority to make medical decisions for the pupil.
(g) "Regular school day" may include not only the time the pupil receives instruction, but also the time during which the pupil otherwise participates in activities under the auspices of the local education agency, such as field trips, extracurricular and cocurricular activities, before- or after-school programs, and camps or other activities that typically involve at least one overnight stay away from home.
(h) "School nurse" means an individual employed by the local education agency who is a currently licensed registered nurse and is credentialed pursuant to Education Code section 44877.
Education Code 33031
Education Code 49423.6
Education Code 44877
Education Code 49423
Education Code 49423.6
(Added by Register 2003, No. 47)