Private Postsecondary Institutions; Compliance; Enforcement, Process and Penalties
(a) As a consequence of an investigation, which may incorporate any materials obtained or produced in connection with a compliance inspection, and upon a finding that the institution has committed a violation of this chapter or that the institution has failed to comply with a notice to comply pursuant to Section 94935, the bureau shall issue a citation to an institution for violation of this chapter, or regulations adopted pursuant to this chapter.
(b) The citation may contain any of the following:
(1) An order of abatement that may require an institution to demonstrate how future compliance with this chapter or regulations adopted pursuant to this chapter will be accomplished.
(2) Notwithstanding Section 125.9 of the Business and Professions Code, an administrative fine not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000) for each violation. The bureau shall base its assessment of the administrative fine on:
(A) The nature and seriousness of the violation.
(B) The persistence of the violation.
(C) The good faith of the institution.
(D) The history of previous violations.
(E) The purposes of this chapter.
(F) The potential harm to students.
(3) An order to compensate students for harm, including a refund of moneys paid to the institution by or on behalf of the student, as determined by the bureau.
(c) (1) The citation shall be in writing and describe the nature of the violation and the specific provision of law or regulation that is alleged to have been violated.
(2) The citation shall inform the institution of its right to request a hearing in writing within 30 days from service of the citation.
(3) If a hearing is requested, the bureau shall select an informal hearing pursuant to Article 10 (commencing with Section 11445.10) of Chapter 4.5 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code or a formal hearing pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 11500) of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code.
(4) If a hearing is not requested, payment of the administrative fine is due 30 days from the date of service, and shall not constitute an admission of the violation charged.
(5) If a hearing is conducted and payment of an administrative fine is ordered, the administrative fine is due 30 days from when the final order is entered.
(6) The bureau may enforce the administrative fine as if it were a money judgment pursuant to Title 9 (commencing with Section 680.010) of Part 2 of the Code of Civil Procedure.
(d) All administrative fines shall be deposited in the Private Postsecondary Education Administration Fund.
(Amended by Stats. 2016, Ch. 593, Sec. 23. Effective January 1, 2017. Repealed as of January 1, 2021, pursuant to Section 94950.)