Chapter 6. Student Tuition Recovery Fund. General Provisions. Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF).
(a) The fund exists to relieve or mitigate economic losses suffered by a student in an educational program as defined in section 94837 of the Code at a qualifying institution, who is or was a California resident or was enrolled in a residency program, if the student enrolled in the institution, prepaid tuition, paid the assessment, and suffered loss as a result of any of the following:
(1) The closure of the institution;
(2) The institution's failure to pay refunds or charges on behalf of a student to a third party for license fees or any other purposes, or to provide equipment or materials for which a charge was collected within 180 days before the closure of the institution;
(3) The institution's failure to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federally guaranteed student loan program as required by law or to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the institution prior to closure in excess of tuition and other costs;
(4) A significant decline in the quality or value of the educational program within the 30-day period before the closure of the institution or, if the decline began before that period, the period of decline determined by the Bureau, to a degree that results in the institution's failure to meet minimum operating or academic standards; and
(5) The student's inability to collect a judgment entered against a qualifying institution for a violation of the Act, subject to all of the following:
(A) The student has reasonably tried, and failed, to collect on the judgment. The Bureau will determine the reasonableness of the effort on a case-by-case basis;
(B) The Bureau receives the student's application within 4 years from the school's closure;
(C) The student has not received reimbursement or forgiveness from any other source.
(b) A student whose total charges were paid by a third-party payer is not eligible to make a claim.
Education Code 94803
Education Code 94877
Education Code 94923
Education Code 94874.1
Education Code 94923
Education Code 94926
Education Code 94927
Education Code 94927.5
(Amended by Register 2011, No. 15.)