Chapter 6. Student Tuition Recovery Fund. Payments from the Fund. Application for Payment.
(a) A student seeking reimbursement under the Fund shall file a written application on the Bureau's Student Tuition Recovery Fund Application Form (STRF App Rev. 2/10), signed under penalty of perjury that the form and all attachments are true and correct, which includes the following information:
(1) The student's name, address, telephone number, email address, and social security number or taxpayer identification number;
(2) If any portion of the total charges were paid from the proceeds of a loan, the name of the lender, and any state or federal agency that guaranteed or reinsured the loan;
(3) Proof of the amount and description of the student's economic loss for the educational program, and the amount of the student's claim;
(4) Proof of the date the student started and ceased attending the institution;
(5) A description of the reasons the student ceased attending the institution, or if the student graduated, date of graduation;
(6) The student's or borrower's authorization to allow the Bureau to negotiate with any lender, holder, guarantee agency, or the U.S. Department of Education on the student's behalf to reduce the loan obligation;
(7) The student's authorization to allow the Bureau to issue a payment directly to any lender, holder, guarantee agency, or the U.S. Department of Education on the student's behalf; and
(8) An assignment to the Fund and the Bureau of the student's rights to collect those funds against the institution if any payment issues as a result of the application;
(9) The institution name, address and phone number where the student attended;
(10) Proof that the student was a California resident at time of enrollment, or was enrolled in a residency program;
(11) Proof that the student paid into the STRF;
(12) If the student took an approved leave of absence, documentation of the approval;
(13) Whether the student has previously applied for STRF reimbursement;
(14) Whether the course of study or portion completed prepared the student to take a state or national licensure exam; and
(15) If the student transferred to another school, a list of all classes or units transferred.
(b) The application must be fully completed and received by the Bureau, with supporting documents that include, but need not be limited to, the enrollment agreement, promissory notes, if any, and any receipts, within two years from date of the closure notice explaining the student's rights under STRF, whether provided by the institution or the Bureau, or a maximum of four years if the student received no closure notice.
(c) Students whose total charges are paid by a third party payer are not eligible to apply for payment by the Fund.
(d) The Bureau may conduct an investigation to verify whether to grant or deny a claim, and may request any additional information or supporting documentation.
Education Code 94803
Education Code 94877
Education Code 94923
Education Code 94870
Education Code 94923
(Amended by Register 2011, No. 15.)