McCabe Union ESD | AR 5111.1 Students
Criteria for Residency
A student shall be deemed to have complied with district residency requirements for enrollment in a district school if he/she meets any of the following criteria:
1. The student's parent/guardian resides within district boundaries. (Education Code 48200)
b. Rental Agreements
c. Declarations of Residency
d. Caregiver Affidavit
2. The student is placed within district boundaries in a regularly established licensed children's institution, a licensed foster home, or a family home pursuant to a court-ordered commitment or placement. (Education Code 48204)
(cf. 5117 - Interdistrict Attendance)
(cf. 5118 - Open Enrollment Act Transfers)
4. The student is an emancipated minor residing within district boundaries. (Education Code 48204)
5. The student lives with a caregiving adult within district boundaries and the caregiving adult submits an affidavit to that effect. (Education Code 48204)
a. In all cases where students are residing with someone other than a parent or legal guardian, the responsible adult resident shall be required to complete a Caregiver's Authorization Affidavit prior to the enrollment in school. Affidavits must clearly specify which person will take responsibility for various aspects of the student's adjustment in school.
b. The caregiving adult resident must present proof of residence as a prerequisite to enrollment.
c. Verification of relative status may be requested where this is deemed appropriate and foster home licensing must be secured for non-relatives prior to final approval of the affidavit.
d. A completed copy of the affidavit will be provided to the adult resident and the school of attendance noting the conditions of enrollment or any other matters which remain to be resolved.
e. In those instances where the parent or legal guardian resides in close proximity to the district of desired attendance or where the circumstances of enrollment are questionable, a school official will be assigned to complete periodic home visits and provide definitive verification of actual residency in the district. If the minor stops living with the caregiver, the caregiver shall notify the school that has been given the affidavit.
f. The affidavit is invalid after the school receives notice and/or has verified that the minor is no longer living with the caregiver.
6. The student resides in a state hospital located within district boundaries. (Education Code 48204)
(cf. 6183 - Home and Hospital Instruction)
8. The student's parent/guardian resides outside district boundaries but is employed within district boundaries and lives with the student at the place of employment for a minimum of three days during the school week. (Education Code 48204)
9. The student's parent/guardian, while on active military duty pursuant to an official military order, is transferred or is pending transfer to a military installation within the state. (Education Code 48204.3)
(cf. 6173.2 - Education of Children of Military Families)
10. The student's parent/guardian was a resident of California who departed the state against his/her will due to a transfer by a government agency that had custody of the parent/guardian, a lawful order from a court or government agency authorizing his/her removal, or removal or departure pursuant to the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, and the student lived in California immediately before moving out of state as a result of his/her parent/guardian's departure. (Education Code 48204.4)
(cf. 5145.13 - Response to Immigration Enforcement)
Proof of Residency
The district shall not solicit or collect information or documents regarding the citizenship or immigration status of students or their family members for the purpose of determining residency within the district. (Education Code 234.7)
Evidence of residency may be established by documentation showing the name and address of the parent/guardian within the district, including, but not limited to, any of the following: (Education Code 48204.1)
1. Property tax payment receipt
2. Mortgage, rental property contract, lease, or payment receipt
3. Utility service contract, statement, or payment receipt
4. Pay stub
5. Voter registration
6. Correspondence from a government agency
7. Declaration of residency executed by the student's parent/guardian
8. If the student is an unaccompanied youth as defined in 42 USC 11434a, a declaration of residency executed by the student
9. If the student is residing in the home of a caregiving adult within district boundaries, an affidavit executed by the caregiving adult in accordance with Family Code 6552
(cf. 5141 - Health Care and Emergencies)
A parent/guardian seeking residency status on the basis of his/her employment within district boundaries shall submit proof of the employment which may include, but not be limited to, a paycheck stub or letter from his/her employer listing a physical address within district boundaries. Such evidence shall also indicate the number of hours or days per school week that the parent/guardian is employed at that location.
A parent/guardian who is transferred or pending transfer into a military installation within the state shall provide proof of residence in the district within 10 days after the published arrival date provided on official documentation. For this purpose, he/she may use as his/her address a temporary on-base billeting facility, a purchased or leased home or apartment, or federal government or public-private venture off-base military housing. (Education Code 48204.3)
A student whose parent/guardian's departure from the state occurred against his/her will pursuant to item #10 in the section "Criteria for Residency" above shall be in compliance with district residency requirements if he/she provides official documentation of the parent/guardian's departure and evidence demonstrating that the student was enrolled in a public school in California immediately before moving outside the state. (Education Code 48204.4)
Any homeless or foster youth or student who has had contact with the juvenile justice system shall be immediately enrolled in school even if he/she is unable to provide proof of residency. (Education Code 48645.5, 48852.7, 48853.5; 42 USC 11432)
(cf. 6173 - Education for Homeless Children)
(cf. 6173.1 - Education for Foster Youth)
(cf. 6173.3 - Education for Juvenile Court School Students)
Safe at Home/Confidential Address Program
When a student or parent/guardian participating in the Safe at Home program requests that the district use the substitute address designated by the Secretary of State, the Superintendent or designee may request the actual residence address for the purpose of establishing residency within district boundaries but shall use the substitute address for all future communications and correspondence and shall not include the actual address in the student's file or any other public record. (Government Code 6206, 6207)
(cf. 3580 - District Records)
Regulation McCABE UNION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
approved: June 19, 2018 El Centro, California